First stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Due to build my first stud wall shortly for taking off part of a bedroom to make a space for an ensuite.
Couple of questions for starter!

1- It needs a door, so I'd get a door liner kit for ease - noticed they are suitable for studwork at either 100mm or 75mm thick.
Is 75mm too flimsy and 100mm recommended, or is 75mm generally ok?

2- it needs some insulation in between studs. Is slab insulation usually better for this (e.g. Celotex) and akso would you size it to fill the void? I noticed it's available 25/50/75/100mm etc. I will have some electrics to make room for in the void or perhaps a little pipe work for towel rad. Would you go for 50mm in that case for example?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is 75mm too flimsy and 100mm recommended, or is 75mm generally ok?

75mm is OK.
Other factors influencing "flimsyness" include stud spacing, number of noggins, and thickness of plasterboard.

it needs some insulation in between studs.

Why? Presumably for sound insulation? In that case -

Is slab insulation usually better for this (e.g. Celotex)

No. Use mineral wool, wood fibre or similar. Consider using an acoustic product.

I have a feeling that building regs require 15mm plasterboard and a minimum of 25mm of mineral wool in a 75mm stud wall on 600mm centres; consider that a minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back