Insulation to fit between 3x2" battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is 50mm slab insulation(rockwool) ok to fit in between 3x2" stud wall, built in front of an external wall, or would 100mm be better, compacted in.

I can only find 50mm and 100mm sold locally. Not 75mm(3")

Sponsored Links
Is 50mm slab insulation(rockwool) ok to fit in between 3x2" stud wall, built in front of an external wall, or would 100mm be better, compacted in.

I can only find 50mm and 100mm sold locally. Not 75mm(3")
Don't compact mineral wool insulation as it loses much of its insulation. I'm confused about the type of wall you are talking about.

Just dry lining an external wall of a solid(non cavity) wall, bedroom, Basically, building a stud wall in front of it.

Can't I just use loft insulation? :oops: It's much cheaper

Sponsored Links
Insulation works because it is full of air which 'traps' the heat. If you squash thicker insulation into your gap you'll squeeze out the air reducing the effectiveness.
Use something that is 50mm thick, rockwool is Ok, celotex is better.
Or use deeper studs and thicker insulation.

Just dry lining an external wall of a solid(non cavity) wall, bedroom, Basically, building a stud wall in front of it.

Can't I just use loft insulation? :oops: It's much cheaper
Yes, of course you can use mineral wool but I think you must either use rigid batts or fix loft insulation blanket at the top to stop it collapsing into the bottom of the cavity. Your Building Engineer or Building Inspector might require a vented cavity adjacent to the brick.

Have a look at http://www.proctorgroup.com/index.asp?lm=27 to see some ways of using mineral wool to insulate solid walls.

Personally, if I had to live with it:
  • strip plaster from the brick
    seal the brick inner surface with a concrete render (e.g. Soundcoat)
    50mm treated battens at 600mm centres
    50mm Celotex on top of the battens (taped joints)
    19mm wood strips (holding Celotex in place and providing service void)
    plasterboard
That gives a U value of about 0.27.

Bought some 65mm ROCKWOOL cavity insulation. Hopefully should be good. About £100 for 22sq metres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back