First Time Skimming - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm new to the forum and new to plastering/skimming. I likely need to deal with a few rooms but making a start on the small box room first which is a bit of a mess I feel. I've removed some lining paper that had very big bubbles under it and looked a mess. There's also a stick on strip around the room but it's difficult to remove. I've taken care of removing any loose bits that might cause an issue I feel.

The process I'm looking to follow based on my research is to use a PVA/water mix (2 coats?), a bonding coat and then multi finish. I'm looking to use a trowel to apply the plaster and a SpeedSkim to make good and level.

Seeing the pictures below to get an idea of the current state of the room would this be the best approach and is there any advice I should follow?

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
Where are the deep bits that need bonding? Looks like skim only would do the trick but can’t see the pics too clearly. You could use a speedskim to flatten, but not as a substitute for knowing how to use a trowel.

Where are the deep bits that need bonding? Looks like skim only would do the trick but can’t see the pics too clearly. You could use a speedskim to flatten, but not as a substitute for knowing how to use a trowel.

Thanks for your response.

There's a few little indentations such as where the door handle has hit the wall and on the wall where the lining paper was the wall is generally just full of smaller imperfections like bits there filler appears to has been used and not flattened, there's some naughts and crosses marks on a wall made with a knife I guess. It's those types of imperfections I'm talking about so nothing too serious. I've seen the recommendation on a few forum threads to use a bonding coat where adhesion is an issue and since I'm dealing with painted walls with stick on strips I'm unable to remove and filler and so on its unknown to me what adhesion will be like so I thought it would be best to assume the worst and use PVA, followed by a bonding coat and then multi finish. Are there any negatives to this or are you simply implying it might be over the top?

It’s the pva that will provide the adhesion. Bonding (coat) plaster is a backing plaster, for deeper coats like on bare block or levelling up uneven walls.
So pva and skim is your best bet. Skim when the PVA is tacky.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. In terms of time I've got free this week I'm looking to apply the PVA Friday after work between around 5pm and 6pm. Would I be ok to make a start on skimming at around 10am Saturday morning or does the PVA need less or more time than that before skimming?

You normally pva just before skimming, so you can skim when it’s tacky. But you can skim next day, as long as you keep an eye on the suction when you pva it.

How big is the wall you are staring with? If you haven't done any plastering before, buy a plasterboard to practice first or start on a small area with minimum corners and/or behind cupboard (i.e., don't start with windows.)

Remember the clock starts ticking once the plaster is mixed with water. You need to get it all cover with thin layer within 30 minutes. If you aren't confident, best buy a plaster retarder (I used ExtraTime) to get yourself some more time to work on it.

I've just compete kitchen plaster myself this week. Ox Speedskim is great to level it out, but you need another flexible or plastic trowel to finish it off. a 'Normal' trowel can't give you a clean finish.

How big is the wall you are staring with? If you haven't done any plastering before, buy a plasterboard to practice first or start on a small area with minimum corners and/or behind cupboard (i.e., don't start with windows.)

Remember the clock starts ticking once the plaster is mixed with water. You need to get it all cover with thin layer within 30 minutes. If you aren't confident, best buy a plaster retarder (I used ExtraTime) to get yourself some more time to work on it.

I've just compete kitchen plaster myself this week. Ox Speedskim is great to level it out, but you need another flexible or plastic trowel to finish it off. a 'Normal' trowel can't give you a clean finish.

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'll possibly pick up some cream of tartar which seems to be recommended as a cheap way to get an extra 30 minutes. Is the flexible trowel used after levelling with the SpeedSkim?

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I'll possibly pick up some cream of tartar which seems to be recommended as a cheap way to get an extra 30 minutes. Is the flexible trowel used after levelling with the SpeedSkim?

I thought about using cream of tartar but decided I don't want any risk of whether it works and unable to control the timing. With Extratime, I know for sure when multi is going to go off and I can plan my action accordingly so that there wouldn't be any panic.

Yes, flexible trowel is used after speedskim. Speedskim is EXCELLENT for levelling, but not so great when the plaster is firmed up as it tends to leave blemish mark although most likely is because I'm not a pro so can't master it well enough. I use flexible trowel when it's firm up and trowel off some mark. It works wonders!

a 'Normal' trowel can't give you a clean finish.

Someone tell that to the thousands of plasterers who are using them right now, and did for years before they invented plastic trowels/supaflex.

The plastic trowels have their place, but they need to be used at the right time, or you’ll think you’ve done an amazing job until it’s painted and the light is shone across it, and it looks like cellulite.

I thought about using cream of tartar but decided I don't want any risk of whether it works and unable to control the timing. With Extratime, I know for sure when multi is going to go off and I can plan my action accordingly so that there wouldn't be any panic.

Yes, flexible trowel is used after speedskim. Speedskim is EXCELLENT for levelling, but not so great when the plaster is firmed up as it tends to leave blemish mark although most likely is because I'm not a pro so can't master it well enough. I use flexible trowel when it's firm up and trowel off some mark. It works wonders!

So I've purchased this set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZJ31CT/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_PV1hDbW75YA3W

Would the finishing trowel in this set be suitable for troweling off marks or am I likely to run up against issues?

Someone tell that to the thousands of plasterers who are using them right now, and did for years before they invented plastic trowels/supaflex.

The plastic trowels have their place, but they need to be used at the right time, or you’ll think you’ve done an amazing job until it’s painted and the light is shone across it, and it looks like cellulite.

Please take no offence, the 'You' in the sentence was meat for OP as he's new to plastering. I am sure proper plasterers won't have that problem. When I was in plastering course, we were taught to use 1 trowel for everything. Instructor use it like it's a magic wand but I had found it hard to be quick at the time but flexible trowel just came to my saviour in real life situ.

I'm very anxious to see how it turns to when it's painted. Shopping sandpaper and filler now as I'm sure I'll need it.

None taken, fair play for doing it at all, it’s not easy. Only trying to help with my comments too.

OP, this is how I’d do it. Everyone’s got their own way.
- apply first coat using steel trowel (any half decent at least 12 inch plastering trowel)
-immediately flatten with speedskim
- go back on with trowel, filling any hollows, tidying edges
- mix 2nd coat, repeat all above
- once it’s looking pretty flat and decent, either go on it with a plastic trowel, or spray a bit of water and use steel trowel again
- leave it for a bit
- go over again a couple of times with whatever trowel you want to finish it off
- if you feel like you’re really losing it and it’s setting too quick, go over with a sponge float, then a trowel which may get it back under control.

So I've purchased this set. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZJ31CT/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_PV1hDbW75YA3W

Would the finishing trowel in this set be suitable for troweling off marks or am I likely to run up against issues?

I don't know how flexible is this one compare with the cheap trowel I use (Draper 11" from toolstation). Perhaps try yours first and if you are having a hard time then buy a flexible one for other walls? or buy one standby and return it if not used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back