First Time Skimming - Advice Needed

You need to find a flattish stone that will fit well between index finger and palm, but not too chunky.
Then chuck it at the sea as hard is you can.
Hang on, wrong skimming.

#fridayfeeling

Sponsored Links
OP, this is how I’d do it. Everyone’s got their own way.
- apply first coat using steel trowel (any half decent at least 12 inch plastering trowel)
-immediately flatten with speedskim
- go back on with trowel, filling any hollows, tidying edges
- mix 2nd coat, repeat all above
- once it’s looking pretty flat and decent, either go on it with a plastic trowel, or spray a bit of water and use steel trowel again
- leave it for a bit
- go over again a couple of times with whatever trowel you want to finish it off
- if you feel like you’re really losing it and it’s setting too quick, go over with a sponge float, then a trowel which may get it back under control.

The trowel in the set I've bought is 11". I've not opened it so would I be best returning and buying a larger trowel or does it not make much of a difference?

Personally I wouldnt entertain buying a set on line, the hawk and bucket trowel may be ok but I prefer to feel a trowel in the the hand first. Pre worn Marshalltown extra lite are very nice:)

Sponsored Links
I am hoping to plaster the entire room with the possible exception of the window wall as that wall really isn't too bad and would present the greatest challenge for me too. Would it be best to skim one wall first, learn from it and skim the remaining walls the following day or is it best to skim all walls in one go when skimming an entire room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back