first time tiling and a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi been researching for a month on how to tile as i dont have the money to pay a pro as we just got the house and i dont wont a cowboy to do it either so i thought id give it a go my self. i read the sticky created by gcol just had a few questions.

im going to be using the b&q READY MIXED ADDEHSIVE AND GROUT in one.now it states its WATERPROOF not water risistant would this be ok for bathroom. im tiling the whole bathroom so there will be tiles in shower area.

i know the pva subject is very deep. on b&q it states to use pva as primer. so today i found a waterproof pva would this be ok in wet areas better than the statndard pva?am i right in saying statndard pva not good in wet area as once water hits the pva its finished is that why people dont like using standard pva in wet area??

also if i use the waterproof pva as primer would this automatically tank the walls ?

when scoring the painted walls as half is new plaster and half not and is just painted. i came across some plaster that would just come of when running a scrapper underneath. is this normal??? i knocked around the area it sounded different. do i need to chip around the area until it doesnt come off?? should i check whats behind the are that sounded funny?i want to tile over but i dont wanna do a cowboy and it falls off after a day or so but i dont wanna create unessary work either.

near the sink there was a few holes where the pipe goes out i could see the brick. i cemented this area can i tile over once primed with waterproof pva or do i need to do something else.

sorry if i dont make any sense or am thinking to deep im new to all this ,first ever house i just want to do things the best i can as im not planning on doing it again hopefully for a very long time. and what better place to ask for opinions than a diy forum. i imagine there are pros on the site as well right??

Sponsored Links
NEVER EVER use adhesive and grout that comes in one tub, what is it? is it good adhesive? is it good grout? its neither!!!!!!

pva is not a tanking agent, and no use n the bathroom, go buy some proper waterproofing from a good tile store.

sounds like you need to take off the old plaster, and then re do it

keep your mind away from pva, it wont help you or save your life.
if the concrete is set you can tile over.

there are a lot of differening opinions on here, you may not like some comments or trust some people here and other sites, any job you do is always at your own risk, we can only point you in the right direction

If the plaster sounds hollow when you tap it then its not adhering to the wall and as Jeff says it needs to come off.You may be able to dot and dab some plasterboard in its place which you won't have to plaster and can tile directly onto.

PVA has no place in tiling.

If you are getting your stuff from b&q then they do an adhesive called cerafix(tub) which is pretty good,I have used it a few times when getting to my supplier was difficult,if your tiles are largeish then you will need powdered adhesive.

Use a powdered grout not ready mixed,for the time you save not mixing you lose in finishing,ready mix grout is naff to work with.

Hope it goes smoothly for you,remember to post pics when finished ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info i hope it goes well aswell. im thinking now of giving the premixed stuff back and the waterproof pva back aswell. is it really that crap??? if you dont mind me asking why is it rubbish? and why is pva no good for tiling? not cus i dont beleve you guys just so i can understand myself how it works

also the funny plaster do i need to take the whole skim of the wall?or will it stop coming of automatically in the good areas?also what is that dot and dab about ? plasterboard?? the area coming off was like a layer of paint no chunks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back