priming plasterboard for tiling using acrylic tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm tiling a new en-suite. For the main shower I'm using aquapanel but on the areas not connected to the shower at all (i.e. they won't get wet, but obviously may get moisture), I'm just using standard gyproc wallboards.

I want to tile directly onto them, using an acrylic waterproof tile adhesive I always use (Sovereign Gold) and a water and mould resistant grout.

I've read at various threads here that it's generally ok to do this (tile onto plasterboard) but the majority say it's best to use a primer and rather than PVA something like BAL is better.

From what I've read everything mentions cement based adhesive.

Does anyone know if it's ok to use BAL (or similar) on acrylic/polymer based tile adhesive.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm just using standard gyproc wallboards.
In a bathroom, I would always use Moisture Resistant boards not standard wall board; it's liable to disintegrate when it gets wet/damp.

I want to tile directly onto them, using an acrylic waterproof tile adhesive I always use (Sovereign Gold) and a water and mould resistant grout.
Can’t comment on Sovereign Gold, never used it. I Use BAL products & unless the tiles are large I would use this;
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/white-star
& this;
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex

I've read at various threads here that it's generally ok to do this (tile onto plasterboard) but the majority say it's best to use a primer and rather than PVA something like BAL is better.
Always follow the adhesive manufacturers instructions regarding primer but it’s generally not necessary on PB & can reduce the effectiveness of the adhesive. Not a good idea to use PVA prior to tiling; again it will reduce the effectiveness of the adhesive, its water soluble (unless it’s the new waterproof one) & could lead to adhesion problems; never use PVA in wet areas.

From what I've read everything mentions cement based adhesive.
For normal tiles, White Star is as good as you’ll get. You only need to use cement based adhesive if the tiles are large & heavy; but there is a weight limit on PB.

It all boils down to the tile material and size.

If you are fitting Porcelain or naturtal stone then a cement based is often better, if it's a small ceramic, under 300mm then a ready mixed can be used.

I tend to use a rapidsetting Polymer modified adhesive on pretty much everything during the winter months and a slow setting polymer modified during the summer.

If you opt for a Polymer modified adhesive then the Plasterboard must be primed

Thanks, I also contacted some suppliers. I got this back from the adhesive supplier (of sovereign goldstar - which is the same as BAL white effectively) which says primer for cement based and no primer for polymer based:

I can confirm that Sovereign Goldstar can be applied directly to wall boards such as plasterboard, timber sheet and cement backer boards.

No priming is required and when tiling it is always best not to skim plasterboard as the paper face of the board is stronger than the skim plaster and so can hold a greater weight of tiling (20kg/m2 for skim and 35kg/m2 for the plain board).

One thing to note is that large or dense tiles e.g. over 300 x 300mm, natural stone/porcelain etc tiles should always be fixed using a cement based adhesive. If fixing to plasterboard then this must be primed when using a cement based adhesive.

Gyproc also got back to me saying you can tile directly onto their plasterboard with no need for primer using acrylic based adhesive.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I also contacted some suppliers. I got this back from the adhesive supplier (of sovereign goldstar - which is the same as BAL white effectively)
Didn't know that; if it's as good as White Star, you won't go far wrong with it. Spot on with the rest but I would still go with MR plasterboard unless youve already fixed it; price difference is minimal compared to the cost of redoing it ;)

I am, MR board it is. I actually bought enough aquapanel to do the whole en-suite until I realised how heavy it is - I'd have to double up the joists!

So I've used it round the shower and the rest is going in my bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back