First use of Philips screws and Pozidriv in United Kingdom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to date a piece of occasional furniture that I bought recently, and I'm restoring. It's a little sewing box/occasional table, oyster shaped, with a swiveling, opening to double size table top.

The body of the box is formed (literally) of mahogany six-ply, with an oak veneer. The four beech legs are screwed on with Philips screws. There's an old fashioned six colour decal (transfer) on the back with "A MORCO PRODUCT Registered trade mark" around a device of a lady in a crinolinre dress and high wig.

Stylistically, it's pretty timeless, but I rather think 1950s, possibly as early as just post war. Someone told me that Philips screws came into Britain via the USA during the war. Is that so?

I seem to remember Pozidriv coming into use in the early 1970s.

That raises another thought: when did Nylok locking nuts come into use?

Any thoughts, please?

Sponsored Links
Interesting that the American site doesn't mention the Pozidriv or its later improved version the Supadriv (note the lack of an "e" at the end) which aooeared late 1970s.

P004.gif

I can remember seeing Nylocs in the 1970s when they were quite expensive

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back