Fish Smell Using Shower Head Only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry I don't really belong on the DIY forum since I'm just a student living in a relatively new apartment near campus.

But I wanted to get some feedback from capable ppl before seeing if this is a big deal or not: for the past week or two, every time I use the shower in my bathroom, there's a faint fishy smell that goes away (I think, or maybe I just get used to it) after a few minutes.

This does not occur when using anything else (sinks, etc.)...in fact, it doesn't even occur when I turn on the shower. Only after I turn on the shower HEAD does it appear.

Any possible reasons that wouldn't require me to call in people to fix it?

note: relatively new apartment built for students

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
If it is electric I would not use it until it has been checked by a spark as the supply cable might be overheating hence the smell. :eek:

Sponsored Links
use the shower more often, once a week is not enough, even for a student. :LOL:

what type of shower is it electric etc ?

haha thanks -- and how would i know which type it is? call the apt? or is there a way to find out myself? are most electric?

also, i shower once a day :p it shouldnt be something stuck IN the showerhead making that smell right?

oh also, if it is electric and is a cable problem, is it just a fire hazard then? would whatever is releasing that chemical smell (vapors) be a health hazard (outside starting a fire? lol)

And as you (in the colonies) are using 110volts, the current will be twice as large as the voltages that we use in the mother country.

As you all mostly live in wooden cabins it would be best if you get it checked out before you have a very large barbeque on your hands.

If your shower head is turned on by a lever on the bath tap, then it is not an electric shower - so no problem there. It could be electrical as a light fitting is often the culprit. Hot outlets (electrical) often cause this problem, so you do need to check. Turning on the shower moves the air about so causing a short period when the odour is noticeable. HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back