Fish Smell

Interesting theory Mickymoody but actually, as far as I'm concerned, not only do I not have any wall paper in my home, but my problem was a twelve month a year problem. The rooms affected here have the original plaster of the house.

We have a consumer programme on the TV over here, that has highlighted this fishy smell issue, and you being based in Canada, I realise that you are not one for being a nation of wallpaperers, hence I mention the facings, as we used to get a couple of maniacs that were Canadian based on our TV, that did DIY, dangerously! So, as I understand it the basic house is built, of wood, then a fascia is built around it for appearance? It may be that damp has got into that space, to cause localised rot, plus the degradation of any glue used in the manufacture?

Also the roof is wood based, with felt liner overlaid? So maybe a tear that is letting damp in? Canada generally is cold/damp to my mind, never having been there, so the problem being constantisn't a surprise, but a warm snap, as you mention, the issue was resolved temporarily.

Just throwing ideas at you, as it seems like you are at the end of your tether regarding this, and how to prove me idea, or how to rectify it, apart from ripping your house apart, unknown..

Sponsored Links
Mickymoody

In our case all the wallpaper has been removed for several years to facilitate wall repaired and sealing – currently the walls are all in what we refer to as “decoration ready”. That is waiting for final treatment – either paint or wall paper. Although your input is insightful and interesting it does not appear, on initial evaluation, to align with the condition and timing of our incidences. Like the “Maid’s” situation ours has happened erratically over several years. It has happened during all four seasons, day or night, morning or afternoon. With heat on or off.

As we were restoring the house we felt that eventually we would discover the source. With major work completed last winter and several months absence we thought whatever it was was gone. But then in mid September it came back “in spades”! Hence I decided to reach out and see if others have had similar experiences and if so found resolution.

Finding no evidence of rodents or other such animals I have considered insects, electrical conditions (ozone), plumbing but have yet to find any connection. Still stumped.

Again thanks

Rob5,

I revisited your idea about the lights. Two of the locations where the smell occurs, although they have been rewired, have vintage wall sconces with similar components. On realizing this I started testing the smell with the lights on. I am getting positive results. That is the smell seems to be more likely to be present with the lights on then when they are off. I also notice that the fixtures have the same brand sockets and most likely a Bakelite toggle.

I am going to change the light fixtures and retest. I will also bench test or try these light fixtures in another room.

Thanks

Hi Mayerdale,
ok,
not sure what a US toggle or a sconce is in relation to the light fitting? but just to emphasis that the plastic immediately adjacent to the top of the bulb is the normal culprit.
In the Uk this would be the bakelite part that you unscrew from the bulbholder unit and then screw back on to hold the lampshade in position followed by the bulb itself.
Let us know how you get on and good luck.
Rob

Sponsored Links
In my school days we used a glue made from fish bones. Any chance it was used in your house somewhere?

I was about to say that it might be Haunted, then saw that its been mentioned before! ...Whatever, something fishy's definately going on.

I was about to say that it might be Haunted, then saw that its been mentioned before! ...Whatever, something fishy is definitely going on.

Thought I'd get you over your 'thankful virgin' status for your useless post. A more appropriate use for it don't you think?:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back