Fishing for help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've been fishing for help in the Roofing Forum but bites are proving hard to come by. I thought I'd trickle a bit of loose feed into the margins of the ever popular Building Forum to see if anyone here may have some advice . I'm not expecting a feeding frenzy but a couple of bobs on the float would be nice.

//www.diynot.com/forums/roofin...plate-in-edwardian-terrace-what-to-do.350414/

Cheers,
Lube

Sponsored Links
Lube - i've just seen a problem very similar to yours - the preferable option is to take it off and start again, we did, however, our customers had a ridge beam shaped like a banana!

At the very least you need to be putting a new plate up and extending the joists to sit properly on the plate - I would use lengths of timber that span nearly all the way back up to the ridge so the integrity of the roof remains, then get yourself a nice new valley gutter with the proper fall on it.

Should solve the problem

I have edited my original post to include images/descriptions so hopefully it'll make more sense.

Limerock - thanks for taking a look. If I can facilitate a repair rather than taking the roof off, I would rather do that. Could you give me a bit more on how you would actually replace the plate? e.g how much propping is needed, would a new plate just be anchored flush to the party wall? does it need to be lapped into the brickwork at both ends etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would use lengths of timber that span nearly all the way back up to the ridge so the integrity of the roof remains".

I was under the impression that the integrity of the roof is ok as the rafters are tied in to a plate that sits on top of the joists, thereby making the "triangle". What effectively seems to have happened is that the wall plate failure has caused the triangle to slip down the wall somewhat on one side. I'm having difficulty picturing how I would fix this with timbers that head to the ridge.

You may have guessed that I am on a steep learning curve with this one! Please be patient with me.....

- Lube

It makes more sense now thanks.

Noting that you've changed your original thread dann09 is close to the mark.

Screw a 6x2 ish sized bit of timber along the full length of the ceiling joists about 400mm back from the wall and prop every other joist (I would imagine it would be OK to do every third one though). Cut off the ends and cut out the wall plate, you could either bolt a new one directly into the party wall, or use a PFC - then just extend the ceiling joists back on to the plate making sure your overlap is a long as possible. (I misread last night and was thinking of rafters as opposed to joists hence the mention of ridge). To be honest, if there has been that much damage then I would suggest looking at relaying the gutter timber as well, but thats up to you.

As someone mentioned on your other thread, its less of a DIY job this one i'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
Nice one limerock - very useful info that makes sense to me. Given that the concensus is it's more professional than diy, could you give me a very rough idea of what this work may cost? Tricky I know without seeing it but just a ball park would be useful. I need to get someone in for a knockthrough/steel install job in the same property, so hopefully I can get someone who can do both jobs.
Nice website BTW - pity you're in the SW (for me that is, not you!)
Cheers,
Lube

Thanks, needs a few tweaks, but its nearly there.

As for the job, If you're looking to do it cheaply, offer to dispose of the waste and if you prepped it in advance by dropping the ceiling plaster etc, I would of thought a good 1&1 gang could do most of it in a day to be fair. I'm not sure what your rates are like in London, but just add materials on to that.

Maybe 150 for timber and fixings? So perhaps 450 + VAT for the one day? Please don't hold me to that, i'd never commit to something from a few photos online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back