help - dodgy builder and my flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Bit of a long description but please bear with me. Around 18 months ago we decided to do the first major bit of work on our newly bought house. The flat roof we knew (from the surveyor's report) needed re-doing, so I asked my dad if he knew anyone and he got details of someone from a friend. He seemed nice enough, and he got to work.
We have one fairly large flat roof, which covers the garage at the side of our semi, extends to connect to the main building (covering the "passageway to the garden") and also extends to cover part of our kitchen extension (back end of the garage).
That was re-felted, and we also had new plastic gutters fitted onto the main roof, and new plastic fascias. The laths on the main roof were also replaced (and some broken tiles). Some of the laths had rotten due to a very minor leak in the loft. Anyway, it was a lot of work, and cost a lot (even more so as we had just moved in after getting married).
When dad inspected it he seemed to think it was a bit untidy at best, so he got another friend (someone who has been a roofer for a long time, but doesn't do flat roofs) to inspect and he confirmed there was a lot of shoddy worksmanship, on the flat roof and the main roof.
We were extremely disappointed/gutted, but didn't think at the time there was anything that could be done, as money had exchanged hands and besides we couldn't afford any further work. We just wrote it off as a lesson learnt.
That was in the summer, and a few months later in winter after some heavy rain I noticed a very small leak in the extended kitchen, coming from where the flat roof meets the original building. Apparently the wrong type of lead lining had been used. Anyway, as a quick fix we painted some Ronseal 10 Year Roof Seal on all the cracks/joins and that stopped the leak...
We've since had a lot of work done inside the house, but a couple of days ago I noticed another leak from the flat roof, this time where it meets the main house underneath the "passageway". The passageway already had some plaster falling away from the ceiling from a long time ago, but now there is at least one new "bulge" where the water is dripping through.

I've spoken to my dad and he only has the mobile number of the builder, and on the "warranty/certificate" we got for the work done it just has his company name. Dad doesn't think he can obtain his address and is very insistant that pursuing him will be more or less a dead end and won't be worth the hassle. Dad's point is that we painted the Ronseal onto the joins, and it did the job, and that now it just needs another coat. This is a quick fix in my eyes, surely that's not the expected maintenance you have to do on a flat roof every 12 months or less? Dad also says he wouldn't let that guy anywhere near this house again anyway, after the quality of the previous job.
Anyway, I might get another person in (hopefully a proper roofer this time) to give a quote on how much it would cost to get it "done properly". We get three little advert magazines posted every so often with local builders/companies advertised, I'll just go by the size of the advert!

What are my rights legally? Surely I can expect for a newly laid flat roof to last longer than this without leaking? Can I get some kind of refund? Can I get another builder in and claim the money back from builder #1?
I haven't taken any photos but I'm hoping to take some tomorrow if the weather is ok.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you should stop listening to your Dad for starters, and ceasework inside the house, its always priority to get the exterior done first, toensure itsall water-tight.

Photos would help, look forward to viewing them, as for the next roofer, dont go by size of the ads, some of the ones in my Thompson local that have full page ads live on local new age traveller sites! (which is why i dont advertise with Thompson)

Get a number of roofers round who offer free quotes, get 5 or 6 round, ask them for written estimates explaining the problems with your current roof, see what they have to say.

You can`t mention Pie Key :eek: your posts will be modded away - mine were , and I`m polite about travellers - and I`m polite to them . I just don`t trust many of them ;)

Sponsored Links
You can`t mention Pie Key :eek: your posts will be modded away - mine were , and I`m polite about travellers - and I`m polite to them . I just don`t trust many of them ;)

Hey Nige, I thought you were a travelling man??? :mrgreen:

Andy

:LOL: Family travelled from Norfolk to Sussex beginning of last century ( great grandfather) and hung around the general area of Ashdown forest ever since . ;) Would get lost trying to find you in Herts :confused: is it north of watford.

Finally managed to get some photos, but also now realise I was a bit hasty in blaming the roofer for this new (second) leak. The roofer only did the flat roof above the kitchen extension, and from what I gather because the felt wasn't tucked in correctly, and in conjunction with the type of lead that was used, this caused the very small leak in the ktichen which was sorted out with some Ronseal.
The new leak appears to be where the rainwater collection "pit" joins the guttering pipe below. It is hard to explain as I don't know the correct terminology, but hopefully the pictures will provide more info.

View media item 30177
View media item 30178
View media item 30179
View media item 30180
View media item 30181
View media item 30182
View media item 30183
View media item 30184
View media item 30185
View media item 30186
The first four photos are of the flat roof above the kitchen, the work done by the dodgy roofer. There is no leak (for now) thanks to my efforts with Ronseal. The other photos are of the other (older) flat roof above the garage and passageway. The eighth photo is a close up of where I believe the leak is originating from.
Please can anyone advise on the best course of action - is there a quick fix, as the rest of the flat roof (the one the roofer didn't touch) appears to be in very good condition.
Thank you

nice touch with the hopper! Would it be easier to chalk the dodgy work down to experience and put a pitched roof over the whole lot and around the front?

without pictures I can't offer much advise on the workmanship. However it seems it was lacking as a new roof should last approx 15 yrs? Make sure you get referrals from the next roofers that quote the roof project. Make sure the referrals had flat roofs replaced by the contractor. Go to there house to confirm that the referral is real and not just a friend or relative of the contractor acting like a customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back