Fishy smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into this house a year ago and the kitchen smelt of fish, assuming the prevoius owner was fond of fried fish we ripped out the units,knocked a wall down and started again.
The smell went, now 9 months later it's back and as bad as ever.

I think it's electrical, ever smelt bakolite when it's too hot?

Anyway, any ideas?

What I find odd is that it went for so long and suddenly reappeared yesterday.

We had some electrical work done but didn't fit a new fusebox,however, the smell is Ok in the electric cupboard but real bad in the doorway to the kitchen, next to the ancient heating thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Have you got central heating protector in your system,they can sometimes give out strong vapour smell round the pump area time to time or dead rodent/pests under the floorboards.

it's a concrete floor and there's no smell upstairs.
the heating system was drained and a new pump fitted about 3/4 months ago, the smell has been absent for the last 9 months or so.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at your central heating system and make sure there no leaks, specially in the concrete flooring.Could it be your room stat burning out?Try and think when the smell get bad & what happening at that time.

lewyboy,

had exactly the same problem in my hallway. Turned out to be an old light fitting with twisted cotton flex.
Swapped out the ceiling rose and flex, problem gone.

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back