Fit over door canopy to EWI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have external wall insulation and bought a over door canopy, when I drilled into EWI there is nothing for the fixings to hold on too. If I put it up it would come off probably taking the insulation with it. Is there any way at all I would be able to put the canopy up so it would be secure, solid and safe. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanking everyone in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forum Information
Information and notices about the forums and DIYnot.com in general. This is where you can ask your questions regarding the site, forum, wiki etc.

EDIT: Post now moved from Forum Information

Last edited:
I use 150-200mm concrete screws for general fixings in EWI, but with a canopy, there's going to be a lot of stresses on the side brackets. I'd almost be inclined to attach something to the wall with the screws to spread the load, and then attach the canopy to that. I'd also be inclined to put a dab of epoxy glue or similar under the screw heads before tightening the fixing board down.

Thank you. The EWI is just polystyrene rendered and pebble dashed over it. I am afraid to attach anything to it. I was hoping mabye that I could buy really long screws that would be long enough to be able to be drilled through the EWI and into the brickwork behind it so making it safe and strong enough to take the weight of the canopy.

Sponsored Links
These are what I was referring to. You drill through the EWI into the bricks, and then just screw them in. How thick is you're EWI and pebble dash.

When we had our house done with EWI we were told that if we intended to fix anything really heavy to the walls we should (carefully) cut the insulation away under the fixings and then fix wood to the walls (bringing it just below flush to the EWI). Then you cover over the top with render then fix the heavy item into the wood through the top coat using appropriate fixings.

Otherwise you can just use heavy duty long bolts into the brickwork through the insulation but with anything heavy you run the risk of damaging the EWI if you don't spread the load.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it's been very helpful. Have decided not to chance putting up the canopy just to be on the safe side. Never mind. Will mabye put one of those wooden ones at front door so legs of it will sit on the ground? X

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back