"Fitted" study....suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a converted attached garage that I have used for a study for the last 10 years without a problem, but I recently decided it needed redecorating....

Cue my wife getting a new job and also having to work from home too....now, I'm filled with dread with Mrs Robster sitting next to me all day, but the more immediate problem is how to furnish the place.

There's not enough space for two full size desks, and two PC World Computer desks would be just too small, so I've decided to go the custom fitted furniture route...

Now, places that sell furniture like this demand that you sell a kidney to finance it, and it seems impossible to buy flat pack - I've fitted a kitchen more than satisfactorialy, so am confident I can do the work, but sourcing the furniture is the problem (I did consider customising kitchen units from Howden's say, but the height and look isn't quite right).

Any ideas where I can buy this sort of stuff from? Even Ikea doesn't seem to sell it!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hope the Mrs does not read your post or you wont have to worry about her sitting next to you all day, she will divorce you. :cry:

But kitchen units may not be a bad idea. Obviously you do not want desks at 900mm worktop height but kitchen cabinets have 150mm feet that you do not have to use.
You could simply screw 4 small timber blocks in place of the 150mm adjustable feet so the cabinet sits directly on the floor, and you will end up with a desk height working surface.

Use 2 drawer pack base units with a knee well gap between them and bridge with a length of white melamine board. To really strengthen it up you could use another piece of white board across the backs.

It will do the job and cost very little.

All the best Steve.

Wow it’s a wonderful piece of idea by steve. I really liked it. Mr Robster it would bring down the cost that you are actually looking for.

How about buying the 2 draw filinf cabinets. Then kinda units that put under or at the end of corner/office desks then fit some kind countertop onto them. Maybe a TV cabinet may be adaptable and have a nice style to it too without it lokoing like a kitchen office.....

Sponsored Links
IMO Forget kitchen units if your making a desk, a desk should allow you to get your feet underneath it - kitchen units will not allow that.

If your feet cannot go underneath it then you will suffer from a bad back with all the leaning over.

How about buying the 2 draw filinf cabinets. Then kinda units that put under or at the end of corner/office desks then fit some kind countertop onto them. Maybe a TV cabinet may be adaptable and have a nice style to it too without it lokoing like a kitchen office.....

I did this with the front part of a grand piano lid. Wonderful size (fitted the printer on there with space to spare), sadly I've had to reduce my working space due to shifting things around, but I'm hoping to have it back again next year.

Here are 3 photos of our office. if you take an ikea kitchen draw and put the plastic feet holders on but not the feet, you end up with a correct hight desk. worktop are just birch ply 8x4 sheet cut down then i routed the edge, and varnish
wall cupboards are ikea kitchen again just with there cheap doors.

Thanks

Paul

Monitor arms or wall mounting will give a little extra desk room.
Double height desk top with raised section at rear increase desk space and add storage.Sitting back to back wastes less space as you share the seating area and you don't have to look at the Mrs all day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back