Fitted wardrobe and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very recent new build with very good insulation and underfloor heating.

I'm constructing some Ikea PAX wardrobes, putting them flush against a wall and using MDF to frame them to appear like they are built in.

So far I've taken off the skirting board, built the wardrobes and screwed them to the wall. One thing that has no struck me is, will mould grow because there won't be any airflow. The wall is an external wall.

Any I overreacting? Will new builds not suffer from this issue because of how they are constructed?

I could unscrew them and take the backs off but I wonder if that'd interfere with the structural integrity.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Should be ok as new builds are well insulated, though easy enough to introduce air vets to wardrobe.

New build should be OK due to the insulated wall. Probably.

I fitted tall wardrobes in a 1900s end terrace (solid brick walls) and ruined some clothing with dampness and mould. Fitting stand-off battens behind the 'robes cured that by introducing a thermal break between the hardboard back and building wall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I've just measured between the wall and the side of the carcass where I'd be putting one of the MDF panels for the "faux" wall. It's 84mm wide at the bottom and 73mm wide at the top...probably from the uneven wall.

The means I'll probably have to cut my panel 71mm which leaves a 13mm at gap towards the bottom. Split in two that's ~7m which was more of a gap than I was expecting.

Any recommendations here?...what would you fill this gap with? Wood filler on the carcass side and caulk on the wall side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back