Floor not level, how important to prop up wardrobe side to make level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice question here... The floor in the room I'm putting up a wardrobe is not level - it's 8mm lower over 1m width. How important is it to prop up one side of the wardrobe to make the sides level? What kind of tolerance is acceptable? If I go beyond a certain amount I can imagine there'll be slightly more wear on cupboard/drawer runners on one side than the other. The floor is only uneven from side to side (i.e. it's flat from front-back of the wardrobe).

A few more details in case they're useful: I'm using 2x 500mm wide Ikea Pax wardrobes in an put up at the centre of an alcove ~3m wide alcove to make a poor-mans built-in wardrobe. I'll fit wardrobe rails between the sides of the alcove and the outer walls of the wardrobe. I'll be fitting doors in front of the wardrobe separately to close off the alcove (that'll come later).

I'm trying to understand what standard practice is for this. I realise it's a good idea to keep things straight. But in this case with two wardrobes put up side-by-side I'm going to need to substantially prop-up the wardrobe on the right and it's bound to be less stable than simply accepting it's flat to the floor, not to the level. I'm fix the wardrobe to the wall and want to make the right decision before proceeding...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You may have trouble aligning the door gaps it the unit is not straight.
Perhaps fit strips of timber to level and fit a matching (tapered) trim to mask the gap.

To give a clearer idea, this is how they're sitting now, without propping anything up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_161859.jpg
    IMG_20200411_161859.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMG_20200411_161759.jpg
    IMG_20200411_161759.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,312
You may have trouble aligning the door gaps it the unit is not straight.
Perhaps fit strips of timber to level and fit a matching (tapered) trim to mask the gap.
Door alignment might not be too important - the aim is to fit sliding doors (if I can take care of the sloping floor issue) and the overlapping nature should mean the wardrobe opening alignment will be obscured. Are there any other factors to consider that could be impacted by not fixing the wardrobe completely level?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back