Fitted wardrobe / external vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we recently got fitted, floor to ceiling wardrobes in alcoves and the one by the (cold) external wall is filling up with condensation.

The wardrobes have no backs or sides, so when you open the doors you see the walls.

I would like to fit external vents but there are 3 separate sections separated by shelves - i surely can't fit 3 full size vents in each section.

Would drilling one small-ish hole through the external wall in each section of wardrobe, do the trick? what's the minimum size to allow any ventilation? i wouldn't want to go any bigger than 2.5cm - ideally smaller

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Bear in mind you will be letting in cold air, so use a hit and miss vent in the top corner. The better way would be to insulate the back of the wall, leaving an air gap. Both solutions involve intrusive work.

Blup

thanks, will a 2.5 hole be sufficient to make a difference?

thanks, will a 2.5 hole be sufficient to make a difference?
It will make a difference in that you will find more spiders/moths/flies' etc, in your wardrobe.
If you have a gap at the back of your shelves then you could, potentially, fit an extraction fan above the top shelf through the outside wall. You would also need a vent in your wardrobe door to enable the fan to draw warm air in from the bedroom. Fit a timer to the fan so it comes on for 15 minutes every hour or so. If the condensation is still there, (but not as bad, set the fan to run longer or shorten the in-between times.
Condensation will always be worse during the colder months.

Sponsored Links
Maybe fit the vents before the wardrobe next time?
I don't see why so many are necessary - perhaps a dehumidifier would work better?

Just one vent is required. Used a 50mm core drill on mine with round vent cover .
Does the rest of the room have ventilation ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back