Condensation Issue - Fitted Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have read through the forums but cant find the same circumstances, so thanks in advance for all input.

For over a year now a condensation problem has existed behind fitted wardrobes. They are full length to en external wall, with 2 foot gap to ceiling. We got mould growth on clothes, and on removing the backs of the wardrobes, the cold external wall showed high damp meter readings where water was condensing.

Having taken on board advice re: drying clothes indoors / ventilation when showering etc we are getting the problem coming back slowly (we moved out for a period due to building work), but by no means as serious as before. Since the initial problem, we also have a new bedroom window fitted which allows us to ventilate the room during the day (the old window would not lock in the open position).

One company rep we spoke to suggested that we core drill a vent from the accessable wall behind the wardrobe to the outside, and so improve the ventilation. As the backs can be put back on the wardrobes, is this a good way to ventilate this area and reduce the problem? If so, is it better to vent at floor level, or higher?

Ideally we dont want to pull the wardrobes out so any solution avoiding that is our ideal.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bob,

We don't have any open water sources as such, and with ripping out the wardrobes our very last resort I will try and vent the wall behind the fitted wardrobes before replacing the backs. Hopefully that will create enough ventilation in that dead space without loosing too much heat (as I don't expect too much heat gets through there anyway, hence my problem). That along with the behaviours you mention might do the job. We already have a de-humidifier, which I run overnight some nights in the room concerned and that does help.

What I planned was maybe 4-6 1 inch holes covered by vent covers, with integrated insect screens and silicone sealing around the external vent cover. If you have any advice against venting through the external wall behind these wardrobes, your input would be appreciated. My thought is, I can always foam fill to seal again if I get any problems!

is there no way you can access the back into the room without going through the wardrobe above or underneath perhaps!!!

just venting into the wardrobe wont clear the damp

Sponsored Links
As all ready stated ventilation is your problem well the lack of it. And we know condensation occurs when warm air meets could air or a surface that is cold.

So how about making the cold surface warm?

If you have a void at the rear of the wardrobes would it be practical or possible to install insulation, may be something like this if you use insulation then it must fit snugly other wise you will be back square one.

Or can you put a vent in the plinth and top of the wardrobes, this will enable the air to circulate. Like the type of thing that you have in appliance housings.

Thanks for all the input,

I'm going to try venting externally as described in my previous post - recommended initially by a rep from a damp control firm. I can do so without removing the wardrobes (the backs have been cut out temporarily to get access to the wall).

I will give this a try for a couple of months and along with the other general condensation control advice I have picked up, hopefully that will do the trick. I will post back the results,and if unsuccessful, will then have to pull out wardrobes, insulate (thanks awbcm) and rebuild.

just make shure you have through ventilaton drawing air from top to the bottom also if the gap is wider than 6ft would consider another vent to aid ventilation

I know that this is a very old post, but I was just wondering if either of these methods (venting and/or insulating) managed to stop the condensation/mould?! Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back