Fitting 1 dimmer switch for 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lounge has 2 lights controlled by 1 switch. I want to replace the current switch for a dimmer, but I'm a bit confused by the wiring after opening up the mounting box.

SpnjjhD.jpg

There are 2 brown wires connected to L1. Do I simply reconnect the dimmer in the same way? Ideally I'd like to be able to control both lights individually.

Sponsored Links
There are 2 brown wires connected to L1. Do I simply reconnect the dimmer in the same way? Ideally I'd like to be able to control both lights individually.
If you connected a single dimmer in exactly the same way as the present switch, it would work, controlling both of the lights (as now). I would imagine that the two brown wires connected to L1 are presumably the live feeds to each of the two lights. If that is the case, if you installed a double dimmer (one for each light) those two browns would need to go separate to the L1 (or whatever it was called) terminsals of the two switches. The present single brown would go the the 'COM' (or whatever) terminal of one of the dimmers, and you'd need to add a short piece of (preferably brown) wire to join the COMs of the two dimmers together.

You obviously need to make sure that the lamps you have are dimmable, and also that the dimmer you use is suitable for them (in terms of both type and power). In particular, note that many dimmers specify a minimum, as well as maximum, lamp power - and may well not work satisfactorily if your lamp is lower-powered than that minimum.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. Do I need to worry about the blue wires at the rear of the box at all?
It's obviously difficult since I'm not there to test/check - but I would imagine that they are the neutrals from the incoming supply and out to the two lights - in which case the should be left alone (joined together), as they currently are.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that the two brown wires connected to L1 are presumably the live feeds to each of the two lights.
Possibly.

Or they are the live loop in and out, and the switched live comes from the COM terminal and the two lights are connected together locally.

But as you say - as long as the wiring is transferred to the dimmer switch without any changes, it will all continue to work.

I would imagine that the two brown wires connected to L1 are presumably the live feeds to each of the two lights.
Possibly. Or they are the live loop in and out, and the switched live comes from the COM terminal and the two lights are connected together locally.
Yes, that is a possibility.
But as you say - as long as the wiring is transferred to the dimmer switch without any changes, it will all continue to work.
Indeed. Furthermore, if the situation were as you suggest, if the OP were to do as indicated to install a double dimmer, no harm would be done, even though things (both in the living room and elsewhere) wouldn't work correctly.

It would be easy enough for the OP to check which of the two situations he is dealing with. If he disconnected (and temporarily safely terminated, in a connector block or whatever) one of the two currently joined browns (leaving the other connected to the switch), one of two things would happen. With the arrangement I suggested, one of the living room lights would no longer come on; with your suggestion, the living room lights may or may not work (depending upon which brown he had disconnected), but some other lights on the circuit would no longer work.

Kind Regards, John

John, I did it your way and its working perfectly with both lights working independently. Thank you for your advice!

John, I did it your way and its working perfectly with both lights working independently. Thank you for your advice!
Glad it worked - I guess that means that it must have been wired as I had imagined! Have you checked that all the other lights in the house are still working OK?

Kind Regards, John

Glad it worked - I guess that means that it must have been wired as I had imagined! Have you checked that all the other lights in the house are still working OK?

Kind Regards, John

Yep all working ok. Really grateful for your advice, the 1 switch controlling 2 lights at either end of the room had bugged me since we moved in. All good now though :)

Yep all working ok. Really grateful for your advice, the 1 switch controlling 2 lights at either end of the room had bugged me since we moved in. All good now though :)
You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear that all is well.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back