Fitting a 2 way 2 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

one of our light switches has broken and i've got a replacement one.

however the switch was put on back in the 80's and its different to the one i've bought.

the new one has two holes at the top and four at the bottom but the old one has three three combination. futher in the old one the top right hand wire connects to the bottom left hand hole where there is already a wire there...

any idea how to switch this over?

1000191qw2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wow, that is the biggest, blurriest slowest loading picture I've ever seen posted on an internet forum. Good job :LOL:

On your old switch the top right terminal and bottom left terminal are linked - these are the common terminals in the new switch. The top left terminals are L1 and L2 as are the bottom right terminals.

It should just be a straight swop but remember to mark the cables with marker pen or something so you know which one is which before you disconnect the old one.

hey

if i was as good as at photography as u want me to be - i'd b posting pictures of kate moss or lucy pinder rather than 2 gang 2 way light switches hehehe

so what about hte common wire?

will i have to use the wire i've described in the same way? connect the two common wires with it?

Yes, the 2 common terminals will need to be linked together, just copy it exactly and it should work but remember to mark the cables with marker pen or something so you know which one is which before you disconnect the old one.

Sponsored Links
i cant seem to see an edit option or i wud've removed the pic and put this one on

if the mods can do it pls do so

thanks

thanks davy - yeah with them being all red its not as easy!

1000190cd8.jpg

Much better, the edit option is about 2 miles >> that way due to the first picture being so huge, just do some scrolling and you should find it :)

It's next to the quote button.

If you are not sure what to do, the easiest way is as follows...

Fold a small bit of masking tape over each wire, and mark them so you know where they came from out of the old switch.

Draw a sketch showing the connector positions on your old switch. And mark them as per your wires.
Now draw a new sketch, using your first sketch by rotating the bottom common terminal to the top and the other 2 terminals to the bottom, rotate them as a pattern of 3.

This will represent the new switch you have, just check the position of the 1/2 way terminals, as these will not necessarily be in the same order as your old switch

wahay!

that worked a charm!

thanks guys

and now for my next act i shall completly rewire wembley stadium in time for the FA CUP final :)

no my next job is the flush lights on the wall

worst thing is my mum who's house it was she got recommended a guy who cud fit it on for her as i was busy at work etc and he came and told her this was incompatible with the way the electrics were and she'd have to locate a similar old design for it to work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back