DOUBLE LIGHT SWITCHES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A NEW DOUBLE LIGHT SWITCH TO REPLACE MY OLD ONE. THE OLD ONE HAS THREE CONNECTION HOLES AT THE TOP AND THREE AT THE BOTTOM. THE NEW ONE IS DIFFERENT. IT HAS TWO HOLES AT THE TOP MARKED COMMON AND FOUR AT THE BOTTOM L1,L2,L1,L2. THERE ARE TWO BLUE WIRES, TWO RED, TWO YELLOW AND AN EARTH WIRE CONNECTED TO THE BASE. PLEASE COULD YOU LET ME KNOW WHICH WIRES GO TO WHERE AS IT IS UNCLEAR ON THE OLD LIGHT SWITCH?

Sponsored Links
Have a look here.

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el031.php

I don't think there is any guarantee that the colour coding has been followed. Did you note the old connections?

You need to know which set are which i.e. which red, yellow and blue wires come from the same cable I assume you can tell this by looking.

[/url]

The terminals on a two way switch form a triangle basically 'com' at the top and L1 and L2 at the bottom. when you put two of these side by side they can either stay as described above or one of the switches is inverted. You are replacing one method with the other.
As you only mention red, yellow and blue wires it suggests these are the strapper cables that link up with two other remote two way switches.
If you examine them they will have the same red,yellow and blue, but also another red and black wire.
I would suggest you wire red to 'com' yellow to 'L1' and blue to 'L2' but it would help when you examine the others switches to check the same colours are used for the same terminals.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back