Fitting a baby belfast sink on brackets - what screws and general advice needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got an old baby belfast sink I want to use and I'd like to mount it on old brackets... I've done a mock installation in another part of the house just to see how secure it feels on the brackets and I'm happy with the result. If I put a lot of downward wait on the front lip of the sink, it doesn't budge at all. And that's using the only cr@p screws I could find in the house which were vaguely fit for purpose!

So when the time comes to fit it properly...

1. What screws would you recommend I use? Or is it simply the thicker and longer the better?

2. Is there any kind of adhesive or similar I could put between the bracket lugs and the underside of the sink? Because the sink bottom isn't totally flat, there are gaps. I thought some kind of adhesive would help fill these gaps for a better connection, whilst also giving belts and braces stability.

More generally, has anyone ever fitted similar and is there any reason I should be thinking twice about doing this?

Cheers

IMG_20211111_170759110.jpg IMG_20211111_170836406.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As large as will fit though the bracket holes or at least 60mm. Nice big fat plugs and holes that are just tight enough where you need to tap the plugs in with a hammer and set into the brick and not the mortar if possible.

Thanks for the tips @Madrab The walls are plastered so not too sure how I'd know if I'm hitting block/brick or mortar... Is there a way to tell other than knocking some plaster off?

So before we make our final decision... Aesthetics aside, with decent screws and rawl plugs of the correct size and length, do you guys think these brackets would be man enough and safe for such a heavy sink? We will be using it for utility room type things, cleaning veg, etc. And I can only imagine the pain if that were to collapse onto my foot!

If we have to we'll revert to plan B which is the cast iron bearers and legs. But we already have these, and we like them, so they will remain plan A if we feel confident they are strong enough. If gluing to the wall or anything else will help make them as strong as possible, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks

You will know by the resistance whether you've hit brick or mortar when you drill the wall.

Of course, legs to the floor would always be a belt and braces, especially with such a heavy sink. Those cast iron brackets are usually pretty strong though especially in compression, nothing stopping you adding some silicone adhesive to the back of the sink and another bracket or 2.

Oh and always wear steelies when cleaning the veg ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back