Fitting a dado rail, can I do it myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The dado in our 1930's house desperately needs replacing, the last person who did it did a horrendous job!

I would like to have a go myself at doing it but don't just want to repeat the disaster.

I have no tools or experience! Is it quite a tricky job that by the time I have paid out for tools etc and used up my time I might as well have paid somebody to do it? Or do I only need basic tools, if so which ones? And is it a fairly skilled job?

Ta

Lucy

Sponsored Links
Why not get a quote first.
Will you be using real wood OR mdf?
Tools: A good saw, mitre block, rule, spirit level (optional) pencil, gripfill or similar, hammer & pins to temp hold it.

I guess I would use mdf, less cost if I mess up! One of the walls has a large curve on it, could mdf be cut and bent in the same way as wood? Maybe I will get a quote, its just that I am a full time mum and fancied actually geting my teeth stuck into a project as I don't get much chance to do this kind of thing.

What is a gripfill by the way?

Sponsored Links
Its an easy job Lucy, About £25 for budget tools would cover it, as mentioned, a mitre saw or mitre box and saw, a mastic gun (for the gripfill) level, tape measure.
The worst bit would be getting the old stuff off and making good before fitting the new. It may take a bit of plaster with it, especially if its old plaster, and depending how its fixed.
I would think a couple of afternoons should do it for someone who hasnt done it before!

Lucy, why not ask a couple of local chippies to give you an estimate first? Make your situatiuon regarding your finaces clear. You may be surprised.

It the wall is curved that may be very tricky and sometimes wood is better than MDF.

Surprisingly, around here, real wood dado rail is cheaper than mdf!

Yes dado is a job you can do yourself (someone has said what tools you will need), but in this particualr instance, you may well be better getting someone in.

But I admire you're willingness to take this on, and wish you all the best.

Woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back