fitting a door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a 29" door for the lounge but as im renovating, i thought i would get a 33" door which will help and be easier when furniture is moved in.

Havent seen any prebuilt casing for 33" but when I was at Stax, i saw lengths of wood to be used for door frames.

Now I want to make my own frame up, but I want to know what is the best way to go about it, to join the two vertical sections to the top horizontal section. As as three pieces have a rebated section, they wont sit flat.

Once done, I have 2 other new frames to contruct as rooms were extended

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
the most effect joint is amortise and tenon joint.step1 is to mark out for a mortise in thedoor stop part of the door,the mortise should be half the thickness of this part of the frameand should be set at the edge of the rebate the distance between of the 2 moritises should be the width of the door plus 3/16 of a inch.step 2 is to mark for a tenon on each stile again the tenoon should beset at the edge of the rebateand should be half the thicknessof the door stop part of the stile.using a square mark a line "lightly" with a pencil around the stile .Measure the depth of the rebate and deduct that of the door stop side of the stile mark it clearly with a penciland the part already marked for the rebate ,these are now the cutting lines for the shoulders of the tenon.All marked out and ready to cut.A important thing to rememberis to use a marking gauge to mark out the widths of the mortise and tenons and the marking out should be done from the same side of all the timber,it is adviseable to leave the stiles (the vertical timbers)longer the nessary,they can be cut to the right length after assembely.step 3 is to assemble the frame which can be glued and fixed with screws thru the head into the stiles .A batten should be fixed 6ft down the stiles ,at the same width as the internal measurement of the door frame .You can now measure diagonially form corner to corner ,when the measurement is the same ,the frame is square and a brace should be fitted to keep it square.You might need to read thi a few times to make sense of my rabbling :)

splinter said:
the most effect joint is amortise and tenon joint.step1 is to mark out for a mortise in thedoor stop part of the door,the mortise should be half the thickness of this part of the frameand should be set at the edge of the rebate the distance between of the 2 moritises should be the width of the door plus 3/16 of a inch.step 2 is to mark for a tenon on each stile again the tenoon should beset at the edge of the rebateand should be half the thicknessof the door stop part of the stile.using a square mark a line "lightly" with a pencil around the stile .Measure the depth of the rebate and deduct that of the door stop side of the stile mark it clearly with a penciland the part already marked for the rebate ,these are now the cutting lines for the shoulders of the tenon.All marked out and ready to cut.A important thing to rememberis to use a marking gauge to mark out the widths of the mortise and tenons and the marking out should be done from the same side of all the timber,it is adviseable to leave the stiles (the vertical timbers)longer the nessary,they can be cut to the right length after assembely.step 3 is to assemble the frame which can be glued and fixed with screws thru the head into the stiles .A batten should be fixed 6ft down the stiles ,at the same width as the internal measurement of the door frame .You can now measure diagonially form corner to corner ,when the measurement is the same ,the frame is square and a brace should be fitted to keep it square.You might need to read thi a few times to make sense of my rabbling :)

Bit too confusing for me

I need to try and source some pictures

another half an hour of my life wasted,Next time you ask a question on a forum,dont forget ,if you get a reply someone has taken time to do that.So a thakyou would not go a miss .Secondly why did you not sauce some pictures before handdid you exspect someone to do that for you.

Sponsored Links
splinter said:
another half an hour of my life wasted,Next time you ask a question on a forum,dont forget ,if you get a reply someone has taken time to do that.So a thakyou would not go a miss .Secondly why did you not sauce some pictures before handdid you exspect someone to do that for you.

Apologies mate was late, I do appreciate your help

Have re-read your post and then googled tenon and mortise which cleared some thing up.

I had chance to look at an existing frame, scrapping the pait away I was able to see how it was put together.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back