Fitting a Drain Cock after the Stop Tap - Recommended ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

I hope that you all had a good weekend. :)

I am having the cold water pipe work altered in my house.

I was wondering in order to be able to drain the cold water piping in the future I was thinking about having a type A drain valve fitted after the stop tap ?

There is a PRV which keeps the water pressure set to 3 Bar on the house side of the stop tap.

Would this be a good idea for the future or it is perhaps overkill and another potential item to leak out of sight in the cupboard below the kitchen sink ?

My thinking was that if I needed to I could then shut the stop tap and then drain all the water if e.g. the PRV ever needed to be changed ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It'll only leak when operated and its good practice to have a new washer/innards on stand by for that occasion.

The times I've cursed due to lack of drain points on systems :mad:

(y)

Morning Dilalio - many thanks - I was wondering are the 15mm type A drain valve capable of withstanding mains pressure ? in my case the static mains pressure is 7 Bar. This would be the case if it were fitted between the stop valve and the inlet to the PRV.

I note on the PRV that that there is evidence of water inside the pressure gauge on the outlet side which I guess means it leaked at some point and so the gauge needs to be replaced. It is an ERES PRV which I believe is Altechnic ? The leak seems to have stopped which is odd ?

The innards for the PRV do you happen to know are they readily available as a redress kit ? When you say "operated" I take it that you mean if the pressure setting is altered either up or down ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you're worried about overpressure then put in a tee and use a 15mm lever or butterfly handle valve for drain down, with a cap installed on the outlet to prevent accidental operation of the valve.

The innards and washer I was referring to was for the drain cock not the reducing valve. However, you can replace innards of a reducing valve of you so wish, but these are usually harvested from a complete new valve.

Most brass fittings, if WRAS approved, are tested and rated to 10Bar on cold water. Type A would be the one to fit.

Accepted. However, I've experienced enough cylinder drain cocks fail to stop using them altogether... Levers for me, and if unvented, I tee them straight into the D2. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back