Hot water tank drain cock leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing the immersion heater in my hot water tank. I shut off the cold supply to the tank, opened the hot taps in the bathroom and kitchen and attached a hose to the drain cock spigot.

When I open the drain cock, water leaks out from around the square nut and nothing comes out of the hose.

When I close the drain cock the leak stops.

The drain cock is a 15mm solder type with "C 15" stamped on the case.

Any help appreciated

Tim

Sponsored Links
more likely the rubber has come off the end and jammed up the hole. as they always do.
remove the hose and sometimes you can get a thin screwdriver up the hole to free the washer.

you might like to put a large bucket under it first, and have several thumbs at the ready.

Thanks for the quick answers. I've no room for a bucket and my wife's already giving me grief about the water that might come out so I'll try to empty the tank before playing with the drain cock. I just read another post about opening the immersion heater nut a fraction and collecting the water from the top of the tank in a towel (or two), I think I'll try this as the water should be more containable.

Once the tank is empty I'd like to repair the drain cock. Does anybody know where I can get a repair kit for the drain cock from any where?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Tim

Sponsored Links
you might like to put a large bucket under it first, and have several thumbs at the ready.

the last time I tried ,I was pushed to place a small thimble under one. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back