Draining the hot water cylinder and faulty drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was recently trying to renew a top entry immersion heater element.
I turned off the electricity
Turned the water to the cylinder off
Turned the electricity supply
Connected a length of hose to the drain cock
Opened up the drain cock
and no water came out so I assume that the drain cock is blocked.
In essence in the absence of a drain cock,how exactly can I drain the cylinder so that I can replace the top entry immersion heater element.
Any help greatly appreciated
Jim

Sponsored Links
Firstly start to undo the immersion with the water turned on @ the gatevalve.that way you don`t buckle the tank.then turn off the water drain out through bath tap, ;) , undo the connector from the top of the tank. insert hose and syphon out water by leading hose downstairs and sucking to get syphon started ;)

It might not be blocked. If you open the drain cock, no water will come out of the cylinder unless you let some air in to replace it. Try opening your bath hot tap a little - then the water/air can ran backwards and out the drain cock. when you've had a few litres out, you're done.

Nige F said:
...undo the connector from the top of the tank. insert hose and syphon out water by leading hose downstairs and sucking to get syphon started ;)

Personally I wouldn't disturb the top connector - this is completely unnecessary and would risk damage to the cylinder. Just open the bath hot tap, get a big towel, undo the IH and let the towel absorb the water that comes out.

slippyr4 said:
It might not be blocked. If you open the drain cock, no water will come out of the cylinder unless you let some air in to replace it.

True, but no action is needed for a vented system - the vent will permit air to enter the top of the cylinder and replace the water that drains out.

Sponsored Links
It`s necessary if you want to replace the drain cock washer so the next time immersion goes you don`t need a big towel :LOL: :LOL:

Nige F said:
It`s necessary if you want to replace the drain cock washer so the next time immersion goes you don`t need a big towel :LOL: :LOL:

I can't dispute that, but surely you're not advocating taking the risk with the cylinder and carrying out a hour or two's worth of work just to avoid getting a towel wet?

jimdoodson - if you're intent on taking Nig F's advice then merely syphon off the water through the IH socket (after you've removed the IH of course) - that way you won't disturb the top connection AND you can install yourself a new DOC washer.

I just use a towel it's the quickest method. Only time I drain a cylinder (which takes forever, and hardly ever can be done via the drain cock, if fitted) is if there is a leak where the water goes in, or I need to remove it.

You`re right about the immersion hole :oops: but there`s an hour or two work that one can charge for.while drinking their tea, and polluting their f+e tank...........all at £40,00 per hour :LOL: :LOL: how do you think I find time to look@ this board in the day :?: My fortune is made :LOL: :LOL: Right on Bros.keep on grafting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back