Fitting a new downstairs cloakroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have a mid-terrace victorian property, and I'm going to convert a small corner of our adequatley sized kitchen that's on the back to make a downstairs cloakroom toilet. Just wondered if anyone has any minium width specs they always work on so it's compatible for the average consumer. Can we get away for 700mm wide or smaller? It needs to serve a purpose and house the WC and the smallest sink I can find, and hopefully a small single rad. Length wise, should be fine (~1420mm).

Appreciate any advise anyone can offer?

Many thanks, Martin

Sponsored Links
Handwashing facilities and an extractor fan must be installed.

Building Control should be notified of change of use too.

Thanks, ventilation is sorted and I'm aware if has to have a sink. It's just the question of what is an excepted size for one of these? I imagine some of the experts have squeezed them in all sorts of places. Is 700mm wide to small? I can go wider, but at the expense of kitchen space? Appreciate anyones thoughts. Cheers

There are recomended minima for manoeuvring areas, not sure what they are of top of t'head. Best to check with Building control, or get someone else to check then shave a bit off before you apply for control notice!

Sponsored Links
Will the door be opening onto the kitchen, I may very well be wrong but something in the back of my head tells me you may have a problem if this is the case.

due to building reg changes the need for a second door before kitchen has been lifted due to limitations in space your building control officer will give you all this advice foc pre an application on a building notice

Thanks for advice so far, building control like to know everything you do don't they? Will ask the question about minimum required space. I guess if anyone else knows, the question is if you were designed a cloakroom from scratch with limited space, how small would you go before it becomes to much of a squeeze? Cheers for the sugestions so far chaps or chapesses. Have a good week. Martin

yes bc like to know everthing like all the other departments set up to police us, BIG BROTHER WATCHING US wait till they reveal the real reason for all the departments set up to gather information on us

TAXING I BELEIVE

Guidance regarding minimum space around toilets and basins suggests that there should be at least 600mm in front of a toilet, between it and a wall, and that it should be in a space at least 800mm wide. Rather oddly it then says that a basin should be in a space at least 1000mm wide. Space between rim of basin and wall is suggested to be 700mm.

These are not regulations btw!!

Guidance was all I was after Breesey and that's spot on. Thanks for your reply. Thanks everyone else for your posts. Will speak to BC, the door will open outwards but on to a 'small coridor' that leads into the kitchen. I'm fairly confident on this rule, that we can have a loo off a kitchen provided there are handwashing facilities which there will be.

Building control, ha, i tell ya. Last house I phoned them as I'd fitted a new front door, only 20% glazed and it was raised as an issue by our buyers solicitors as i declared it on the seller pack. Building control laughed and said I was the first person to ever bother owning up to that one, don't put it down next time, and I that the buyers solicitor was wrong to ask for a fensa certificate anyhow.

Thanks again, have a good weekend all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back