How much can I do a small SIDE RETURN extension for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Realistically?

The Victorian terrace we're buying in Kent has a small galley kitchen at the rear with a side return alongside, as many do.

Dimensions of the kitchen are 3.7m x 2.2m. It also has a small WC and garden store beyond that, which I think we'd keep as is. So the extension would be the length of the kitchen - 3.7m, and 1.5m extra width to meet the exterior wall of the main body of the house. There is currently a fence marking the boundary between our house and the neighbour's, which we would replace with wall (subject to their agreement, of course) for the length of the extension.

The sink is currently on the kitchen side wall to be knocked out. So hot water, waste etc will need rerouting. The other wall to be knocked out (the back wall of the rear reception room) currently has a radiator, which we'd move to the side wall.

We'd keep the back wall of the current kitchen (with doorway to lobby, WC and back door) as is.

We'd want a pitched roof, possibly with three velux windows rather than all glass sheets, to keep cost down. And double doors on the rear wall of the extension.

How much are we looking at, if I project manage, without kitchen units, appliances etc? Best case scenario? I feel like we should be able to do this cheapish but people are scaring me with giant figures.. can anyone give me a rough breakdown of what's actually involved?? I believe we wouldn't need planning, right?

SO grateful for any help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back