Side Return extension, will I lose a lot of light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we're thinking of getting a side return extension for our kitchen. The current layout is below:

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 17.42.47.png

Ideally, we'd like to remove the outside toilet and extend the kitchen to the left with some skylight windows on the new partition. In addition to this, we'll remove the partition wall between the lounge and the reception room and turn the window in the reception room to a glass door the newly extended kitchen.

My partner is very worried about the loss of light to the 'back' end of the lounge with this set up and I'm finding it difficult to source some images to see what the light levels are like in the lounge with this layout.

Can anyone post give any indication on what the lounge would look like with a side return extension or does anyone have any experience of our desired layout? If you could post pictures this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Utilising the side passage in the back yard seems, by report, to be a common extension in London and the SE.
Difficulties are PWA - read neighbours - altho i saw a TV programme where it had been done in conjunction with the neighbour's similar extension.
A method of gaining access above any fragile roofing would have to be worked out in advance.
I should retain the WC compartment at all costs - to buyer's with kids, downstairs WC'c are gold dust.
With adequate roof glazing, issues of light in the reception room would be minor.
Actually, if you went ahead with your proposal, the reception room and kitchen might benefit from opening up some of the walls.

Sponsored Links
Images artificially enhance the appearance of light due to exposure settings or post processing. It's a common trick or trait.

To get maximum light you will need your design to include roof lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back