Victorian terrace best layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a typical 2 up 2 down house with a rear kitchen extension on ground floor and bathroom in top of kitchen. Will see if i can upload drawings later. We want to remodel it. Changes include:
1. Upstairs: convert middle bedroom into bathroom and reduce it's size to leave a corridor wide enough(180cm) to fit loft stairs and walkway/landing. Convert current bathroom into bedroom as current bathroom is bigger than middle bedroom(minus loft stair space).
2. Downstairs: Widen hallway, convert front reception to kitchen, move stairs to run up against side wall, middle room stays as dining room(stairs on one side), side return extension so current kitchen becomes Lounge with good garden view.
Any problems with this layout? Re.planning, building regs, resale ?

Sponsored Links
Something like this(ground floor).
First floor: before after are swapped in this image. Will see if i can find another image. Also, we are unlikely to get permission for second floor side extension.

Extend-Remodel-Terraced-Houseplans.jpg

Two points:
a) you'll knock a fair bit of value off by changing a three bed to a two bed,
b) you'll need your upstairs hallway to be wider if you go ahead with your stair re-alignment.

BTW, I've asked mods to move the post to Building Forum.

Last edited:
If the current layout is that unsuitable then I'd be more inclined to move house, you will spend a lot of money to reduce the value of the house significantly by doing what you propose.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I forgot to mention we currently have only two bedrooms. Bathroom is upstairs. The rear bedroom is bathroom currently.

I think you ought to post your before/after floor plans more accurately. It's all got very confusing!

I would spend less on downstairs and turn bathroom into kitchen. Have a loft conversion instead so you gain an upstairs bathroom and keep it three bed.

I would spend less on downstairs and turn bathroom into kitchen. Have a loft conversion instead so you gain an upstairs bathroom and keep it three bed.

Agree, definitely don't put the kitchen at the front isolated from the rest of the house, leave that as a sitting room. By all means open up the back and create a kitchen/family room with dining. Then move bathroom upstairs and go into the loft to gain back your third bedroom, possibly with en-suite if room allows.

Sorry it took me a while to know how to do a floor plan. Also, we are unlikely to get PP for second floor side extension. So a little change. This is the current floor plan.

Last edited:
Please note: internal walls(front reception) are removed so it is one big room downstairs.
Option 1.
a) Move stairs to side wall to start climbing up from the rear end.
b) Create two bathrooms upstairs.

Ground floor:
ground-floor-plan1.jpg
First floor:
proposed1.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back