Moving staircase in Victorian terraced house - idea of cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's an unusual layout - the stairs divides the two reception rooms like with a side doored house, but the door's at teh front. The bathroom is dnwostairs and I'd like to move it into the back (3rd) room upstairs. However, without going into details and diagrams, in order to do tis and corridor the bedroom that leads to this room, I'd need to move the staircase 90 degrees, knock through the old 2 walls that held the staircase and divide the reception rooms and would have a hell of a job Moving joists etc to put in the new staircase leading from teh front door along the hallway.

I'm presuming this would take about 6 to 8k of work to move the staircase. Moving the bathroom upstairs would cost me another 6k and in a house only worth 230k I'm not sure I'd recoup this when I sell.

Has anyone done this and have an idea of the cost?

Sponsored Links
If you are thinking about this project as an investment then think again. You will be losing a bedroom so recouping costs is unlikely. That said, having a bathroom upstairs may make the house more saleable.

However if you like the house, its location and the neighbours then it is a worthy expenditure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back