Convert Bedroom into bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a 2 up 2 down house with a kitchen extension at the back and big bathroom on top of kitchen. We are planning to move our staircase on one of the part walls for a future loft conversion. Loft stairs will make the middle bedroom smaller than bathroom. Currently they are same size.
I want to convert middle bedroom into bathroom. Can someone tell me what are steps involved, BC requirements and any other issues? So far my list is:
1. Move stud wall 1m
2. First fix plumbing for bath tub, wash basin and WC.
3. Electricity. There are 2 sockets and one switch.

Sponsored Links
First I'd look at waste feasibility in particular that of the WC.

BC will look at electrics, waste runs in terms of length travelled to the stack, waste traps (possibly), mechanical extraction and proposed fire escape layout. Is somebody designing all these future alterations in terms of staircase feasibility (structural and head height access), roof, thermal, fire?

thanks noseall.

1) Electrics : what will BC need to see? There no sockets, anything else?

2) Waste runs: plumbers says he will connect it to current soil pipe using a boxed pipe under floor or from outside the house. Old location is 3.6m away from new location but there is a 25mm fall as the old bathroom floor is 25mm less than the new location. Anything other constraints?

3) waste traps, what is that?

4) Mechanical extraction, is it the macerator/saniflo pumps ?

5) Fire escape for bathroom? is there is specific requirement? For loft I am aware of and will prefer to use sprinklers.

6) Staircase feasibility - plenty of houses with similar floor plans in the neighbourhood have done this. My loft height is 2.3m(highest point), first floor height is 2.5m and there is 4m foot print space available for the stairs.

7) Thermal - is it the loft insulation standard that you mean?

thanks again

Sponsored Links
1) Electrics : what will BC need to see? There no sockets, anything else
New corridors, alterations etc will mean new lighting and switching. The extractor will require wiring also complete with overrun. These need not be inspected but will be subject to part P regulations.

2) Waste runs: plumbers says he will connect it to current soil pipe using a boxed pipe under floor or from outside the house. Old location is 3.6m away from new location but there is a 25mm fall as the old bathroom floor is 25mm less than the new location. Anything other constraints?
There is a certain distance allowable (from source to stack) before air admittance needs consideration. 3.6m may be ok.

3) waste traps, what is that?
BC like to inform you that you need to use deep seal traps etc. They are unlikely to inspect or enforce though.

4) Mechanical extraction, is it the macerator/saniflo pumps ?
Mechanical air extraction liked to the light switch. 60 litres per second or summat like that.

5) Fire escape for bathroom? is there is specific requirement? For loft I am aware of and will prefer to use sprinklers.
Not for the bathroom no. I thought perhaps the old bathroom was becoming a bedroom but this space is likely to be for the stairs....?
6) Staircase feasibility - plenty of houses with similar floor plans in the neighbourhood have done this. My loft height is 2.3m(highest point), first floor height is 2.5m and there is 4m foot print space available for the stairs.
As long as you adhere to the head height and balustrading reg's, you should be ok. Just because others have done it it does not mean they comply. Some may not have been signed off. Staircase reg's are quite specific. There is a modicum of leeway regards loft stairs but you need to be aware.

7) Thermal - is it the loft insulation standard that you mean?
Basically yes. You will also need to adhere to movement of sound reg's regards any stud partitioning and floors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back