Internal Load Bearing walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

I'm looking at knocking a wall which was partly housing an immersion heater (attached is house plan)
I'm planning on converting the area to stairs to access our potential loft conversion

My plans are in red-

Add a window to the external wall so it's in the middle of the house to let light in to the hall

Add a new wall in Bedroom 2

bedroom 2 door is moved to the other side

Remove 3 walls from the immersion area as that's now empty, and that area will extend to the new wall

WC the door is moved and turned into a pocket door.

The question I have, is how do I tell if the walls are load bearing? They are quite thin, looking in the loft, I have a massive bit of timber going left/right across the walls (in blue) and very thin joists going back/front.

Sponsored Links
If you are serious about having the work done then the simplest thing is to get a designer in.

Thin walls are not load bearing. If your door casings upstairs are 4" or less then the walls are extremely unlikely to carry any significant load.

looking in the loft, I have a massive bit of timber going left/right across the walls (in blue) and very thin joists going back/front.
How big are these ceiling binders? Are they both gaining support from the stair well walls?

Nose

Thanks for replying, the two beams are just under 8m in length (single piece) and about 4" thick square. From what I can see, they are only holding up the ceiling joists from below.

I'm in between architects :)

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it's me, but architects around by us don't have that out of the box thinking. I went to the home renovation show in the NEC over the weekend, and after 15mins with an architect (someone who edits a monthly house magazine) the internals have been designed just make sense and works :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back