Converting 3 bed to 4 bed - Advise please - See floorplan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have began a new thread to stop confusion on my old post and appreciate your help.

Can anybody help me to see if it is possible to convert my 3 bed semi to a 4 bed please? The layout is the same other than the wardrobes have been removed from bedroom 1.

My current plan is to move the non supporting wall between bedroom 2 and bedroom 3 to make bedroom 3 into a large bathroom at the front of the property.

I would lke to convert the current bathroom into 2 bedrooms as its extremely large but all options so far seem too tricky. The narrower (original before extension) aspect of the bathroom is approx 1.7m x 2m and opens up to approx 2.6m x 3.5m. (the cupboard houses a boiler which cant be moved to a more appropriate location so will be staying put).

My original plan was to make bedroom 1 smaller to create a hallway (I know regs state the hallway has to be a minimum of 90cm).. but with the width of the original bathroom area next to it being 1.7m, this would mean creating a hallway and the width of that area decreasing to approx 1.45m.

I'm starting to think there aren't any options available therefore moving might be the only option but any feedback/ideas would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

floot plan.jpg

Sponsored Links
How is this different to the previous thread?

The bathroom is barely wider than bedroom3 and only a metre longer, you say you can't lose the cupboard and move boiler (why not?) So your have pretty much useless space there as part of a potential bedroom.

Why is an attic extension not viable?
I still think creating a bathroom between bedroom 1 and 2 is the best option. If memory serves me Scottish regs you can make it 1700wide as a viable narrowest option, imagine England may be the same.

As ash_scotland says, I think you'd need to move the boiler and remove that cupboard. Make the back bit of the bathroom into a bedroom and create the hallway to the bedroom and bathroom past Bed1 (cutting into bed1 a bit). This will all depend on sizes and other but basically, you are limited by the space. It's always going to be difficult trying to put four bedrooms in a space designed for three (the planners would've tried to create the best layout originally I guess).

Here's my mock up! Sizes unknown?

Obviously not to scale :rolleyes:

floot plan.jpg

Last edited:
How is this different to the previous thread?

The bathroom is barely wider than bedroom3 and only a metre longer, you say you can't lose the cupboard and move boiler (why not?) So your have pretty much useless space there as part of a potential bedroom.

Why is an attic extension not viable?
I still think creating a bathroom between bedroom 1 and 2 is the best option. If memory serves me Scottish regs you can make it 1700wide as a viable narrowest option, imagine England may be the same.

Thank you Ash,

Sorry I put my full house floor plan on original one and didn’t explain myself properly so tried to delete post with no luck. Most recommendations were to put bathroom downstairs which doesn’t work for me so just created post with upstairs floor plan. I appreciate your feedback thank you!

Sponsored Links
Thank you Acura,

The current width where you have placed the bathroom.. to put a hallway there to meet building regs would make the bathroom width approx 1.45m which I don’t think would work..

I’m guessing I’ll just have to stick to a 3 double bed..

I can move the boiler but I’ve nowhere really to move it to.

With regards to loft, I have a usable loft room but not to regs, I’ve been quoted £35k for a room of £42k room and en-suite.

The top line value is £165 for house and our current spend all in is around £158 so I’ll be losing money on a loft conversion..

Thanks you

make the bathroom width approx 1.45m

Small but doable. When I planned my extension the en-suite was going to be long and narrow at 1m x 3.4m (changed plan though). It would have to be a shower room at that size.

I’m guessing I’ll just have to stick to a 3 double bed

As others suggested, loft is best bet but if it's not affordable then not a lot you can do at the minute.

I can move the boiler but I’ve nowhere really to move it to

You could move the boiler to the loft, seen houses with it in the loft, it can vent upwards through the roof if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back