Converting 3 bed to 4 bed (duplicates merged)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I 'm currently having a dilemma. With another baby on the way ideally id like a 4 bedroom home. As you can see from the floor plan, the bathroom is extremely large in an extension.with the bathroom currently measuring almost 5m by 2.7m in total.. (the original bathroom before the extension is approx 1.7 x 2m).

Where the toilet is, is the original bathroom, but this width is only 1.7m. Ive looked into reducing the size of bedroom 1 to create a hallway, have a bedroom at the back of the bathroom (in the extension) and partition off so the first half is a bathroom but the measurements are just too small.

I also did look at moving the bathroom to the box room and then creating a large 3rd bedroom but this is another £5k expense minimum and wont add any real value to my property.

Lastly i do have an attic room, but this is not to building regs and have been uoted £35k to achieve this.

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how i can create a 4th bedroom with no extension as my only other alternative currently looks to move.

Thank you for your time and help!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I 'm currently having a dilemma. With another baby on the way ideally id like a 4 bedroom home. As you can see from the floor plan, the bathroom is extremely large in an extension.with the bathroom currently measuring almost 5m by 2.7m in total.. (the original bathroom before the extension is approx 1.7 x 2m).

Where the toilet is, is the original bathroom, but this width is only 1.7m. Ive looked into reducing the size of bedroom 1 to create a hallway, have a bedroom at the back of the bathroom (in the extension) and partition off so the first half is a bathroom but the measurements are just too small.

I also did look at moving the bathroom to the box room and then creating a large 3rd bedroom but this is another £5k expense minimum and wont add any real value to my property.

Lastly i do have an attic room, but this is not to building regs and have been uoted £35k to achieve this.

Please note- I’ve knocked through the lounge and sitting room to create one room.. then secondly I have knocked through the kitchen and dining room into a kitchen diner.. so I essentially only have 2 rooms and a hallway downstairs!

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how i can create a 4th bedroom with no extension as my only other alternative currently looks to move.

Last edited:
Do you use that middle living room much?
Maybe you could increase lounge and dining room, with a bathroom in the middle, and change the upstairs bathroom back to a bedroom?

plan.png

There will probably be 2 supporting walls to move, assuming house is old and not all stud walls on the 1st floor.
But with an honest builder it'll be a lot less than £35k, and you get a bigger lounge and dining room.
Bathroom extraction might be an issue if this is a semi-detached house, but not impossible to sort out - could send out through kitchen or across to utility room..
(ignore dimensions on new bedroom!)

Although, you'd want a WC upstairs ... what's in that cupboard?

Thank you for your quick reply and amended plan..

I didn’t mention downstairs as didn’t expect it to be used as a solution but I’ve actually already knocked through the lounge and sitting room to create one room.. then secondly I have knocked through the kitchen and dining room into a kitchen diner.. so I essentially only have 2 rooms and a hallway downstairs!

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
so you could still put a bathroom in the same place, between lounge and kitchen-diner? Might be the only option, and if you've knocked through already, that cost won't be an issue. Just need to put in drainage and plumbing, build a stud wall (that can carry the plumbing too) and get the bathroom units moved!

Repurpose the sitting room as the dining room.

Link the kitchen and the repurposed sitting room.

Repurpose the old dining room as a bedroom.

Is this a detached house?

Hi,

Bunk beds

Excuse the rough drawing. You'd lose a bit off of a bedroom but would this work? Green outline bathroom, red hatching landing.

Attachments

• C4EE0B09-EAD0-4B89-94C0-0F9C3DBC3A15.jpeg
    C4EE0B09-EAD0-4B89-94C0-0F9C3DBC3A15.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 300

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back