Converting bed 3 into bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site, and to forums in general so please be nice! I'm sure you will!

My partner and I have a 3 bed victorian terrace, which we love, the only problem is that it only has a tiny shower room and no bath. Our long term plan is to convert the loft into a bedroom, so we are planning to convert the 3rd bedroom into a bathroom in the new year.

As we haven't had a bath for 4 and a half years, we want to spoil ourselves! we are keeping the shower room, so don't need a toilet in the new bathroom, so we're just having a sink and a massive bath, the bath I've seen is 1800 x 1100 and holds 290 litres of water, so my first of what I'm sure will be many questions is:

Will we need to strengthen the floor, and if so, HOW?!

Thanks!
Squdge (bev)

Sponsored Links
bev - 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo so your bath with 2 people :oops: in it is going to weigh the best part of 500kg, so I reckon the floor will need to be beefed-up. Also, and this is something folks forget when they dream of party time in a giant tub, are you going to have enough hot water? If you have a copper hot water cylinder it'll probably not have the capacity to supply your tub with sufficient hot water, so that may need to be increased in size.

bev - 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo so your bath with 2 people :oops: in it is going to weigh the best part of 500kg, so I reckon the floor will need to be beefed-up. Also, and this is something folks forget when they dream of party time in a giant tub, are you going to have enough hot water? If you have a copper hot water cylinder it'll probably not have the capacity to supply your tub with sufficient hot water, so that may need to be increased in size.

Bloody hell even with full 290litres of water using your calcs that would make you and the Mrs an average of 16.5 stone each, but you are forgetting the archemedes principal. You will displace your own weight in water so even if you did both weigh 33 stone (210kg) between you then that would only leave enough space for 80 kg/l of water if filled to the brim. the total weight of the liquid and its occupants will never excede 290kg unless you plan to bathe in murcury or molten lead.
Your existing floor will carry this no worries and after taking into account mixing a tank of 60degree water with cold and not filling the bath to the brim, even a 95l hot tank should be plenty

thanks for the reply, I was wondering about displacement! that helps a lot. My next question is about boxing - we are considering Formica, does this have the waterproof properties we need?

B x

Sponsored Links
chapper - you wrote ".... that would make you and the Mrs an average of 16.5 stone each". When was the last time you walked down any High St. - the country is overrun [sic] by fat folk (the morbidly obese) all pushing the 20+ stone mark. So potentially the max loading on the bathroom floor could be significant. Anyway, I was so distracted by the mental image of the couple sloshing around in the giant tub that I clean forgot about the Greek guy. :oops:

well I can tell you that although we're neither of us skinny, we're defo not 33 stone between us!

i didn't know that a litre is equal to a kilo, so that's useful! on that basis, 290 litres/kilos is roughly 45 stone, or 4 average size people - i'm pretty sure my floor would hold at least 4 people without falling through so I think we'll probably be ok weight-wise! :D

Imagine this sloshing about in your tub symptoms

yourmisses.jpg
[/img]

chappers - brilliant, but somehow disturbing. What's she hiding under there?

Watch-out for the 'four o'clock knock' from the boys in blue if you've left your credit card details with one of those iffy Yankie websites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back