Change room from shower room to bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a tricky one this...

Looking at changing a shower room into a bathroom and wondering if the floor will support the weight of a bath.

I can get access to the joists so can measure their size and span. The only issue is that the house used to be flats and the stairs that previously came to the floor were moved during the conversion. And we've no idea where the old stairs were. I'm a bit concerned that we might put the bath over the old stairs hole and end up with it in the room below.

A building warrant was sought of the works but never completed so when we bought the property we got a letter of comfort which specifies 'shower room' which makes me think it might be there.

Am I going to be looking at having to lift up the tiled floor and the floor boards to see what's under there? I can always lay lino down once done until we get it sorted.

I'm happy enough having a poke and a prod (getting a look at the joists) but would be looking at getting a builder out if it doesnt look normal.

Sponsored Links
A bath has legs and supports, and if you find out where they are on the bath you intend to use, then you can lift a tile that will be under the bath.

If you are not falling through the floor at the moment no reason to worry about a bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back