insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,we had loft converted into two dormer bed rooms on rear side and bath room and store room on front side..rock wool type insulation was used in walls and king span type in dormer roof.no insulation is used under floor .lot of floor boards are creaking even though screws were used instead if nails.you can hear every body up stairs or down stairs bed rooms.i was thinking taking some floor boards off and putting rock wool type insulation my self.would it make sense to do that or would it make some sound proofing.i am bit worried that insulation might put too much weight on ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard?

If so you can try whacking decent screws in at say 200 centres. There is an argument that over-specifying the joists is also beneficial to prevent squeaks.

Otherwise lift and fit plywood.

If plywood already try adding more screws.

Adding insulation won't do much, the squeaks are being carried through the joists and through the plasterboard beneath.

Ain't hindsight wonderful. :(

I'd check and make sure that any floorboards that do not finish on a joist are supported by noggins. If they are left unsupported they will move and can 'lift' causing squeaks between fixings.

Studwalls also can be a cause for squeaks, when nailed down to a floorboard without proper support. Especially if you have floor boards finishing between joists unsupported. Any movement from the floorboards around where a stud wall is can be another cause

You can try using D4 glue around the troubled areas. Unscrew and lift floorboards, glue joint and joist then lay boards down and rescrew. If using Chipboard T&G flooring, screw length should be 2.5 times the thickness of the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back