Squelchy Vinyl in Bathroom....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help, starting the DIY bank holiday not on the best possible start!!
My partner and I have just noticed this week that our bathroom floor squelches when we walk 'heavily' on it. javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad
We are in a 1st floor flat and it's only a small bathroom. Power shower in bath with one of those opening shower screens for half the bath that opens out, ( I hope that makes sense!!)
So this morning as we are not working, I decided to pull up the vinyl and just have a look. The whole floor was sodden as the the back of
the vinyl and growing some rather unattractive mold on it. It also stunk.
We took all of that up and have left the wood to try and dry too. We were going to try and take to wood up but the nails have rusted ad we couldn't get them out.

The ones we did get out, when jumping or walking heavily small spurts of water (black and smelly) come out of the holes where the screws were. My partner thinks it's because he pulled some of the sealant of from between the bath panel and the flooring. Would this have caused so much damage? Or is there something else we need to be looking at?

My partner is not the most DIY minded, he struggled putting up the lampshade!! So far, nearly 10 hours on it is dryer but for these small spurts of water. The wood does have a large split in it, practically black and has a smell of rotting manure. If I leave it to finish drying, wash it and scrub it, will the smell go or should we just rip it up and lay down some new?

Also, we don't know the state of the floor underneath and it feels like we now may have opened a can of worms. Any help or suggestions would be eagerly received. I'm rapidly running out of air freshener and dettol spray!! Thanks!!

:) :)

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the can of worms, it's gotta go, and the sooner the better. Bin the vinyl. Get a clawhammer, small crowbar and a floorboard saw (special handsaw for cutting floorboards) Get up as much as you can, leave it to all dry out whilst looking for leaks and burst pipes. The floor will need replacing, the joists might be ok, if you're lucky.

For now try and locate where the water comes from. Could be running down between the bath and wall. Sealant between bath and floor shouldn't be it, unless water is spraying out/spilling over when you bathe/shower. Or you regularly make a proper mess when you get out.

Any complaints from the neighbours below?

Trust me the vinyl has gone!! No complaints from the neighbours below but there just seemed to be so much water. Although it is drying out very fast. We have managed to get one corner up, aided by a bread knife and a hand saw and the joist seemed to be ok. Neither of us make a massive mess showering, (no time for a bath!) and one of those nice fluffy towel things to stand on. So it's not there is a pool of water or anything.
looks like a leak then... Thank you though!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back