Non-slip vinyl for Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to replace the vinyl in my father-in-law's bathroom. Can anyone recommend something that is truly non-slip, even when wet? Of course, we should have done this before he slipped and fell last week :cry: but never realised how slippy it was for wet feet. The current flooring has been down years and years and feels quite grippy when you are wearing shoes.
We will consider anything, but would prefer vinyl: wooden floor under so tiling would not be simple. Of course, when we go into the shop, everything is supposedly non-slip.

Sponsored Links
virtually all of the current ranges of vinyl flooring state an anti slip rating

- most claim an R10 (supposedly the highest)
- further claims are that they grip even harder when wet

...I have often wondered how this translates to the real world and if I understand your post correctly then you have proved these claims to be questionable. However non slip vinyl is only a recent development (last couple of years) - it may be possible that your floor pre dated this development???

currently vinyl flooring has the highest rating, as safety flooring is usually R8

www.polyflor.com Have a look at their "polysafe standard" and hydro range.
I must admit all these floor types are marketed with various levels of grip when wet but so are tyres !!! and the differences are marginal. Polyflor is used in hospitals and wet rooms etc and maybe about as good as it gets and not that expensive. plus they do some funky colours..

Thanks mac391. Polyflor looks the business from my first browse; we'll probably try a sample. Would be nice to feel how non-slip the flooring is.

Sponsored Links
Both the above suggestions are generically called "safety floor"

....most ranges only have an R8 rating (lower - i.e. worse than vinyl cushion floor)
They usually only come 2m wide and require a welded join if the room is wider than 2m
They should be fully stuck down to the subfloor which may require screeding or boarding first
and usually attracting much higher fitting costs than vinyl cushion floor

we quite often get horrified facial reactions from customers once this type of flooring is priced up! - vinyl will be much more cost effective

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back