Water-proofing laminate flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conservatory between the kitchen and the garden so it gets a bit muddy and a bit wet sometimes with people coming in from outside. Also the cat feeding station is in there and not only does he sometimes spill his water but cat food slopped onto the floor needs a good hard wet mopping or even scrubbing with a nylon scourer to clean off.

When it was built the builder laid laminate flooring. Ten years on and where it has occasionally got wet it's starting to peel and crack. Also a bottle of bleach was tipped onto it so it has a white patch in one prominent place. In short, I am going to replace it.

If I buy new laminate flooring is there something we can paint onto it to give it some resistance against occasional wet feet, water spills, and wet mopping?

Or should I change to something non-laminate?

Second problem: I would like to also lay laminate flooring in my bedroom, but I am worried that the casters on my bed will damage the floor. It's a very heavy bed, and the people who sleep in it are also very heavy. The floor currently is painted floorboards, and although we put the casters onto/into caster caps (tried the plastic ones and the rubber ones) they always seem to slip off and have ground gouges out of the wood.

My friend suggests making a sort of shallow wooden box, the width of the bed, and sit the casters on that, to spread the weight across the floor and protect the laminate flooring.

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are bathroom/kitchen grades of laminate

the idea of a tray for the bed is good. It doesn't need to be a huge sheet. You could make two smaller trays and if necessary join them with a strip of mdf to maintain distance.

laminates come prefinished, dont mess with the finish.
whats the point of castors if your goin to trap them in a box?

Sponsored Links
whats the point of castors if your goin to trap them in a box?

So that when I need to move the bed, one person can lift up one side, the other can pull the box away, same the other side, then the bed will be able to be rolled. I do Hoover under the bed from time to time!

You can get vinyl click flooring which is basically like laminate but not made of absorbance materials. Ideal for bathrooms etc. Id recommend that.

OP you can get braked or locking castors that are dead easy to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back