Laminate Flooring in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Has anyone put Laminate flooring in their kitchen? I was wondering on the durability for a high traffic area and the effects of water being spilled onto the surface and in the seems.

I currently have parquetry (wood) flooring in my kitchen. Would I be able to lay the laminate on top of the parquetry after I put a foam base down? Or should a rip up the parquetry?

Here's a link to a website for the material i'm looking at,

http://www.quickstyle.com/eng/produits/newdim.html

Any comments from your experience with laminate flooring, likes/dislikes, installation etc ... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Chase

Sponsored Links
If you read their own instruction manual they insist you glue the T&G (of their glue-less click-system) when you install the product in heavy traffic areas or areas with more moist.

Kitchens are both!.

Besides that, I don't like melamine laminate flooring, but that could be because we are into Natural Wooden Flooring ;)

hi
we have laminate flooring in our kitchen...its blue...:(

mrs crow is going to have it vinyled over asap...
she doesnt like the noise, ehcoes etc when things drop on the floor or the relative coldness...
our kitchen is around 4M x 3M...

just my 2 pence

Put some in a small kitchen - not my own :D :D
Looks great, lasts pretty well, but after I'd put it down I knew I wouldn't ever want to live with it. Noisy - worse than solid floor and it makes noises all of its own. And (its blue like mrcrow's) it shows every tiny bit of dirt.

Sponsored Links
I have laminate flooring in my kitchen, its been down a year now. No problems with water or anything. Easy to clean, just spray cleaner on it and use a cloth. :D

i don't find the noise too bad but it can get quite cold doing the washing up in your socks :cry:

Thanks for all the advise.

I'm expecting the laminate flooring to be a little colder on the feet then what I have now (wood parquetry) but I'm assuming it will not be as cold as ceramic tile which is my other option ;)

Have a good one :D

Concidering that it's a high traffic area and I have 2 large dogs, the floor has taken a beating over the years. I don't believe I have a choice but to replace it.

But seriously:
isn't it an option for you to sand the real wood and apply a new finish (preferably oil, which doesn't show slight damages so easily and is better to maintain?

Craigtaylor said:
i don't find the noise too bad but it can get quite cold doing the washing up in your socks :cry:
So you lend the better half your socks, does she wear the trousers too ??? :LOL: ;)

I wouldn't care to have laminate flooring in a kitchen unless:

1) It's solid wood all the way through. The veneered stuff looks good when you first put it down but once that wears through you've had it.

2) It's not precoated. Water WILL get into the joints UNLESS you seal them somehow and that's going to be difficult if the wood already has some plastic coating on it.

I've got parquet floor in a kitchen. When first laid it got three coats of varnish. This wasn't enough for the day the washing machine sprang a slow leak. The floor underneath expanded so much it bellied up. Since then I've relaid the bad stuff, sanded it flat and drenched it with varnish and I do mean drenched! I mixed the varnish with an equal quantity of white spirit and poured the stuff on. When the floor stopped soaking up this mix I varnished it in the more usual way - three times. It's stood up to water since then.

I'm with WoodYouLike on this. You have some good wood on your floor so don't rip it up. Get a power sander on it then pour that varnish on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back