Laying Sheet Vinyl on to ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small downstairs toilet that is 1.1 x 1.3m. Currently we have ceramic tiles on the floor. It’s often used by muddy children and they are a nightmare when wet, it’s hard to sweep and mop, the grouting is coming up and several hairline cracks in them. I’m the next couple of years we will have the bathroom done but not now so I am looking for a quick and cheap fix. I know that it will be a botch job but I want to make the best of it.
- We have been given a roll of vinyl flooring that will fit.
- we have also been given some Volden Aquastop underlay to use if needed
- the toilet and basin have been laid on top of the tiles

Looking for any tips or advice??
- I have seen that filling in the grouting can help the shape not show through? What should I use to do that
- Do I need to use adhesive to stick the vinyl flooring to the tiles?
- Do I need underlay, if so would the Volden Aquastop underlay work?
- Any tips on cutting the flooring to fit in to corners, around toilet etc
- what should I use to seal where the flooring meets the wall/toilet etc?

Thanks, apols for the basic questions!

Sponsored Links
Decent underlay will gget it reasonably flat but the whole thing can look botched if as a first timer you cut round the toilet etc. Best to lift the pan and skirting so the vinyl goes under leaving a smooth edge. Cutting templates from cardboard to transfer can help otherwise. And take lots of measurements as the room wont be square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back