laying vinyl over ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I want to lay vinyl over existing ceramic tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. I won't be removing the existing tiles as that would disrupt too much installed furnishings.
I know that I need to avoid existing grout lines showing through the vinyl.
What would anyone think of these options, please ?:

- self levelling compound. I am ok with doing this, expect I think there are a couple of areas where there is a fall in the existing tiled floor of up to 10mm in 0.5m. Can self levelling compound still be used ?

- filling in the existing grout lines by grouting. Can I merely smooth over the existing grout lines, ie add more grout to eliminate them ?

- can self levelling compound be used to fill in the grout lines, ie the self levelling compound will 'sit' in the grout lines without draining out ?

- what about felt-backed vinyl instead of standard vinyl ? I've heard this may be very good at preventing grout lines showing through.

Thankyou

also, can self-levelling compound be built up in two layers ?

Sponsored Links
bad idea - if possible never lay vinyl over tile.
we would never accept that as sound practice - we always lift the tile an prep the subfloor for any finished surface.

you dont fill with grout.
SLC can be used in two layers. but prep first.

If the grout lines aren’t too deep, lay F-Ball Isolator membrane and lay the vinyl on top, perfect, quick and Won’t damage the tiles whilst leaving a perfect flat finish.

Felt back vinyl will still show grout lines through the backing.

Sponsored Links
Needs to be tested for any moisture.
But we rapid repair the joints then prime & screed the floor at 3-4mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back