Can you have one RSJ rest on another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking at some building work in my house and wondering about taking out two walls to open up the back of the house. House is a 1930's 3 bed semi.

One wall runs nearly the entire length of the back of the house and currently has a smallish extension in it, the other wall is the wall dividing the kitchen and dining room.

The one running across the back will be taking the load of the rear cavity wall, upstairs and also the roof I imagine as it is the original rear wall to the house. I think it may also be taking a minor load from the extension roof.

I'm not sure what the load would be of the wall dividing the kitchen and dining room but for us to remove that wall and the back wall we'd have to somehow rest this RSJ on (or in) the beam that is running across the back of the house.

Is this possible? I'm aware i'll need to see advice from an SE for calcs etc but just wondering if this thing happens and is something that is do'able?

Heres a little diagram to show what i'm chunnering on about!
Hope it makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Yes it is perfectly doable. If you use a wide-flange beam for the main beam, you can even sit the incoming beam on the bottom flange.
No need to bolt them together, either.

Ah right, so my builder will be au fais with this kind of thing and I won't be asking him to do anything out of the ordinary?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back