RSJ / Lintel questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just signed up to diynot and have some rsj/lintel questions!

Let me first describe the part of this 1950's house in question.....

We have an integral garage on the far right side of our house (running front to back) about 6m long. Adjacent to this garage (to the left of it) we have a dining room and a kitchen (the d-room at the front and kitchen behind). We are looking to open up the whole area by way of removing both the kit/d-room wall and also the garage wall giving us one large squareish room which will become a kitchen come dining room.

We also want to install a 5m span of folding doors to the rear of this newly opened up room to give us plenty of light and to be able to throw the doors open to the garden on those rare summer days!

Here are the questions.....

I have discovered that the ceiling joists run from left to right or right to left which means the garage wall is load bearing but the wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room would appear not to be load bearing as this wall runs parallel to the joists.

So I would imagine we will need a steel to take the load of the existing garage wall running front of house to back, approx 6m.

We will also need some sort of lintel/rsj to support the new opening at the rear (the 5m ish span for the folding doors to go in).

The garage wall steel I assume will rest on a padstone at the front of the house but how will it be supported at the other end? (at the rear of the house where the new opening is going to be for the folding doors).

We don't really want some sort of brick peer as this will defeat the object of having a large opening with folding doors!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

James

Sponsored Links
It may be necessary to have a much larger steel to the rear which the end of the garage steel would be bolted to. I would advise you engage a Structural Engineer as you would need the relevant calculations and the like to satisfy the Building Inspector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back