RSJ over window lintel??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Been lurking on here for a while now, and finally have a question i need help with!!!

I am currently renovating the kitchen/dining room in our house, It is quite a large room (6m x about 4.5m) so the joists run front to back with an RSJ supporting them in the middle running from side to side (our house was built on the end of an old end of terrace so the RSJ is set in the old external wall of next door and runs to our outside wall, it is 2 C Section RSJ's bolted back to back)

As part of this i want to move one of the external windows, as far as i understand, this can be done without planning, am i correct in thinking this??

Next problem, the RSJ is resting about where we want to new window to be, now, can an RSJ be rested on top of a window lintel? Or will we have to put a small RSJ in to act as a lintel? If we do have to put another RSJ, does it have to be bolted/welded to the other existing lintel or can you sit a course of bricks between the 2?? I know if i do need an RSJ i will have to get a structural engineer to do the calcs etc but i just need some advice to start...

Attached are a couple of pics to give you a better idea of what i mean.

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
Just put a 152 x 89 steel beam across the inner skin over the new window. Allow a good 150 bearing at each end - possibly a little more if the wall is of lightweight block.
Main beam can sit directly on this, or if the gap is too large, interpose a concrete padstone. Best not to set the main beam on just brick.

Thanks Tony, Would there be no need for the interjoining RSJ's to be fixed to one another in any way??

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back