Am I being ripped off??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am renovating a 2 bed terraced house, and as part of the work I need 3 rsjs installed on the ground floor. The rooms are laid out front to back hallway, leading to kitchen at rear, lounge and dining room coming off hallway , and rear kitchen. As part of the scope of works, we decided to rsj part of the dining room wall next to kitchen by 1.8 metres, link this into another rsj opening up kitch/dining room wall into kitchen, and finally another rsj on rear wall of property at back of kitchen to enable a set of french doors to be installed. All structural designs have been done, and rsj's made up to structural engineers specs.
The work involved will mean a new pillar on kitchen/hallway to take padstone for kitchen hallway rsj, another pillar in hallway at end of remains of dining room wall where rsj will sit. At the rear which is currently a small outside loo and store, part of the store door way will need blockwork and bricks to reduce opening size on one side to prep for french door install and the old outside loo door will need blockwork and filling in. Obviously all the rsj's being installed also. Most of the prep work has been done, floors are up etc. I am getting quotes of £8k for this work? Bearing in mind it is just the rsj install and associated brickwork etc. I worked in contruction for 12 months for a reputable house builder. Friends in trade are saying paying in anymore than £2500-£3500 would be daylight robbery??

Sponsored Links
We have a description from you, but can't see the work required, so it's near enough impossible to judges, but £8K seems a hell of a lot; get them to justify it, even if you're on the IOW.

Sponsored Links
Get a couple more quotes?
I used MyBuilder dot com last time I did some work, had some reasonable quotes come back. Looks like there's a few people listed on the IOW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back