RSJ T junction, or replace the 5 inch joints? Suggestions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am in the process of converting my current kitchen, dining room, part of my hallway and a large cupboard, into one room - to be a kitchen diner.

I have has a structural engineer in to assess as I have to remove 2 walls in order to do this and he has informed me that 1 is non supporting (which i have since removed) and the other is supporting.

If i can describe the layout of the house, then it may help you with your response to my questions. As you walk down the hallway(staircase on the left hand side), at the end on the right is a door to a large cupboard.
Then directly in front is the supporting wall with a doorway through to the existing kitchen on the left hand side (in line with the staircase), and to the left is a doorway through to the dining room (set in the non supporting wall).

I am wanting to bring the whole room back, to make a large room - so effectively extend the current kitchen back into the hallway by about a metre, this will make the new kitchen doorway - level with where the staircase ends.

Our structural engineer has informed me that the wall between the kitchen and dining room is non supporting (the joists in the dining room are 7 inch thick and spam the width of the room).
The kitchen joists however are only 5" and get support from the wall between the kitchen and hallway/cupboard.

I have two options:
A) to put up an RSJ in place of where the current supporting wall is... This will be supported on the outside wall (on right side), but will need supporting on the left side (either with a small wall, pillar or another RSJ going where the old non supporting wall, divided the old kitchen and dining room.

B) My other option, is to replace the current 5" joists above the kitchen - which are currently underneath a bathroom and spare bedroom that are currently being redeveloped. i.e. floorboards can be pulled up with minimal impact etc. - replacing these with 7" joists - so that the joists can span from the back of the house, to where the new doorway to the hallway would go - and i rest these on a new RSJ aligned with the new kitchen stud work wall.

Obviously option B would look better, as I wouldnt have 2 RSJs dropped down in the kitchen/diner, and also the ceiling throughout the room would be level as all would have 7" joists above it.

BUT, I am sure this will be unbelieveable in terms of the amount of work and a lot more costly.

Any suggestions/advice really would be appreciated.

(I wont be doing the structural work myself, that would be for my builder to do)

Sponsored Links
Can't you put the beams in the floor void so the ceilings stay level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back